Midnight Chocolate

25th December
Narrator POV

These events take place on the night the ADA arrived in Tokyo to surprise Tekkan

"Ranpo-san, where are you hurrying to so late into the night?" Kenji yawned while stretching his arms.

It was a rainy night, the ADA had just arrived in Tokyo and were settling into their rooms.

"I'm craving Belgium chocolate. There's a store across the street that's opened 24 hours," Ranpo pouted.

"Are you sure you know how to get there?" Tanizaki laughed.

Ranpo puffed his cheeks, "I should be fine!" With that, he shut the room door closed.

Level 1

Just as expected, Ranpo saw Dazai in the hotel lobby, with his headphones on. He was lying on the armchair and bobbing his head to a song(probably one about suicide). He seemed to be waiting for somebody, perhaps him?

"Are you waiting for someone?" Ranpo asked.

Dazai opened his eyes and put down his headphones.

"Yes, you actually."
-
"Look at the variety of chocolates!" Ranpo drooled while pointing to a green-coloured one. He had a plastic bag filled with treats in his arm.

Dazai stared at the man pensively but with a gentle smile on his face. Ranpo was selectively picking up chocolate wrapped in a variety of colours. There was no such store in Yokohama. This was a novelty.

"Ranpo-san, you wanted to come to Tokyo not for Tekkan right?" Dazai muttered, getting straight to the point.

There were only them and the cashier in the store.

"Quite frankly I don't think Tekkan-san and Yosano-san will last very long but it's best to humour her on this one. I came here to accept a job request," Ranpo replied.

"I had a hunch."

Both of them walked towards the cashier.

"Would this be all?" The young boy in front of him smiled.

He wore a blue apron and crumpled white T shirt underneath.

"Yes!" Ranpo exclaimed while taking out his wallet.

Dazai's eyes focused on his name tag. Tsukuru Tazaki. He seemed like a young man, a year younger than Atsushi probably. He had dirty brown hair and blue eyes—nothing bizarre about him except he's probably overworked and underpaid. Though, his eyes were so empty but there were countless of rumours teasing that the people of Tokyo had soulless eyes because of how bad the work culture was.

"Here's your change."

"I gave you exact tho?" Ranpo asked as the boy held Ranpo's hand.

However, the boy didn't seem to be carrying any cash in his hand.

"Nice to meet you, the greatest detective Yokohama has ever seen," The boy whispered, not letting go of Ranpo's hand.

"I'm here on a job."

"Are you the one who sent the request?" Dazai questioned.

Dazai glanced at the boy's hand and swiftly placed his hands on top of the boy's and Ranpo's—nullifying any ability the boy might have.

The boy shot them a serious look, a look that suggested that he meant business. The light above them began flickering like one of those cliche movies.

"Tomorrow night, there will be an explosion. Children will die if you do not help. It cannot be prevented but it can be ameliorated."