epilogue

Sometime later, a woman sat in her daughter's nursery and told her a story.

“But, Wendy was not to see Peter Pan or her sister, Emily, again.”

“Did she mind very much?” Her daughter asks, staring up at her with wonder.

“No. I knew they would forget.” The woman, Wendy, assured, “They have so many adventures.”

Wendy’s daughter held up the kiss that Peter once gave Emily many years ago. “Goodnight, Mama.”

The little girl gently placed it into her mother’s waiting hand, the woman placed it on the nightstand and carefully moved her daughter’s hair from her face. “Goodnight, dear one.”

Wendy kissed her forehead and locked the window before sitting by the fire embroidering. Cold air blew into the room and Wendy’s head quickly turned to the once closed window. In stepped the boy she once knew and her sister close behind them. Peter still looked the same but Emily had almost changed completely.

Emily’s nightgown had been shortened into a shirt and she now wore brown trousers covered in dirt with a vine tied around her waist like a belt. Her hair was in a braid with a few flowers intertwined, her skin was now tan and her eyes seemed brighter.

“Wendy?” Peter called out, softly.

“Wendy, it’s us.” Emily smiled.

Peter stood at the foot of what was once Wendy’s bed and Emily stood beside the nightstand. Emily reached over to shake the girl when the two were startled by Wendy greeting them.

“Hello, Emily. Hello, Peter.”

“Oh, there you are.” Peter smiled before pointing to the bed, “Is this John?”

“No, John is not here now.”

“Then it is Micheal.”

“Micheal is gone too.”

Emily tilted her head at how strange her sister sounded, “Wendy, are you ill? You sound different.”

“No, I’m not ill.” Wendy shook her head as Emily squinted trying to see her sister in the dark.

“Is it a new one?” Peter asks.

“Yes.” Peter and Emily shared a smile as they glanced at the bed. “I can not come with you. I have forgotten how to fly.”

“I’ll soon teach you again.” Peter scoffs.

“Oh, Wendy, I have so many new adventures to tell you.” Emily gushed with a bright smile. 

“It is more than that.” Wendy stood and the smiles on their faces dropped, she had gotten so tall. The two backed away as she moved for the light switch.

“No, don’t turn on the light.” Emily quietly pleaded.

Wendy ignored her pleads and turned on the light before slowly turning to face them, she was a grown up now. Emily shook her head as a tear escaped her eye before she quickly wiped it away.

“Oh, Wendy, you shouldn’t have.” Peter frowned.

“I couldn’t help it. I’m a married woman now.”

“No.” Emily shook her head, “You’re not.”

“That little girl in the bed is my daughter.” Wendy informed them.

Peter’s eyes narrowed, “No, she is not.”

Peter unsheathed his knife as he and Emily moved closer to the sleeping girl, who dreamt peacefully as she cuddled her teddy bear. Much like the one Micheal used to have.

Peter sat with his head down crying as Emily turned away to do the same. Emily hadn’t meant to be gone for so long, she didn’t know where her brothers were. She didn’t know where the former Lost Boys had ended up, how was she meant to find them?

Their crying had woken Wendy’s sleeping daughter, “Boy, girl, why are you crying?”

Both quickly wiped their tears and turned to her, Peter stood up straight with his hands on his hips, “I am Peter Pan.”

“I am Emily Anne Darling.”

“I know. I’ve been waiting for you.” The little girl smiled, “I am Jane.”

Peter and Emily shared a look before glancing at Wendy who only smiled. A sense of deja vu ran through Wendy’s mind as she watched Peter and Emily bow to Jane playfully. Jane bowed back and looked at the opened window before turning to her mother with excitement. “May I go? I do so want an adventure.”

“Yes, I know.” Wendy smiled before nodding.

Peter jerked his head towards Jane and Tinkerbell flew in with a smile.

“Tinkerbell!” exclaimed Jane. Jane lifted into the air and laughed, “I’m flying, Mummy. Look, I’m flying.” Jane took Peter’s outstretched hand, “I’ll be back soon, Mama.”

“With stories.” Peter declared.

Tinkerbell flew to Wendy and curtsied, Wendy laughed as she curtsied back to the fairy before she flew away. Peter and Jane flew out of the nursery with Tinkerbell close behind but Emily paused at the window before turning back to Wendy.

“You grew up well, Wendy. Just like I knew you would.” With one last smile Emily flew after Peter and Jane.

They were off on another adventure.