"Ready as I'll ever be," she replied, reaching out to grasp his outstretched hand. Up until this moment, everything Cin had done for Spring had been from the safety of their home or the vegetation fields on the hills behind the Mansion. But from the moment they touched down in Monardo, everything she did for Spring would be under her new title, in the light of the sun.

Abina beamed with pride and excitement, her smile stretching from ear to ear, while Castor wished them joyous tidings on their trip. Tamlin gave them a curt nod and then winnowed the group to the boundary gates of Monardo.

As Cin and Tamlin materialized, the crowd erupted into cheers and Lord Bryony welcomed the High Lord and his bride-to-be.

Even though it had been centuries since a High Lord had taken a woman to wed, the traditions were still alive and well. Lord Bryony draped a gladiolus-woven cloak over Tamlin's broad shoulders before placing a flower crown of white lilies and red roses atop Cin's head.

Tamlin helped Cin onto the horse that had been prepared for her, his strong hands wrapping around her waist to position her before he climbed onto his own horse. Meanwhile, Dannas and Ander piled their trunks onto the carriage, and Lord Bryony mounted his own horse, preparing to lead them into Monardo. Three sentries walked on either side of the procession as they made their way into the village, the cheers of the crowd echoing in their ears.

But as they rode, the cheers turned into a soft hum that turned into a buzz and then a whisper that called Cin's name. Above the cheering crowds, the lilies atop her head sang, Hyacinth, oh the secrets we bring, while the roses added, What will you give us?

Cin tried to ignore them, plastering a smile on her face and muttering, "Leave me be."

But the flowers wouldn't let up, their mocking tone becoming more insistent. But you must know, they giggled, You must know what they say about She Who Brings Joy To The Beast.

Cin's smile wavered, and her throat tightened as the flowers and cut grass were thrown onto the road beneath their horses' hooves.

But you must know, they sneered, You must know how they speak of a newfound grace, a light that shines upon her face as she parades the Beast, reformed.

Cin focused on the cheering crowd, trying to block out the flowers' taunts. But they only grew louder, You must know that your path is fraught with danger. A life forever changed, a world filled with anger.

Sharp words pierced through the air, calling out to her, Hear us, She Who Would Be Called Tulip! and She Who Would Be Seen Dead!

Cin's heart raced as the weight of their words sank in. The path she had chosen had always been treacherous, but she had never fully grasped the extent of the dangers. As she rode, the flowers' whispers echoed in her mind, a constant reminder of the peril that lurked around every corner.

The lilies atop Cin's head screamed their warning, while the roses around them mocked mercilessly. Their cruel words sliced into her like knives, making her heart race and her palms sweat. The clamor of the cheering crowd blended together with the voices of the flowers, creating a deafening noise that suffocated her. The weight of the world seemed to press down on her chest, crushing her lungs and making it impossible to breathe.

Cin attempted to control her breathing, but the panic was too strong, too overwhelming. She gasped for air, her chest heaving as she struggled to stay upright on her horse. Terrifying thoughts raced through her mind, one after another. She felt like she was drowning, with no one to save her. The world around her blurred and twisted, as though reality itself was warping and contorting under the weight of her fear.