Chapter 1: Dreams in the Dark

Beginne am Anfang

I shook my head. There was no time to think about this. I hurried out of my room and into the bathroom, locking the door behind me. I turned to the mirror, quickly washing my face of any drool or crud. The time was ticking down so I had to rush as I brushed my teeth. I gargled some mouthwash as I finished and went back into my room, slipping on my checkered Vans. Once my backpack was in hand and my black jacket was on, I ran downstairs. I grabbed a piece of bread from the loaf and tied the bag closed before running out and meeting mom by the car.

Ken was already in the passenger seat and despite my grogginess, I wasn't going to let him take my seat. I opened the passenger door.

"Go to the back." I said. He frowned and buckled his seat belt. I narrowed my eyes at him and grabbed his shirt.

"I'm going to tell you one more time. Go. To. The. Back."

"You'll have to pry my cold, dead body fro-"

"Just get in the back Vinnie! You're going to be late." Mom huffed, glaring at the both of us. I groaned and closed the door as Ken smirked. 

I climbed in the back, placing my backpack next to me and munched on my piece of bread. Bread was good. Bread was life.

Mom buckled her seat belt and put the car in reverse, pulling out from her parking spot. I sighed and rested my head against the window, watching as the houses went by. The sky was clear except for a few clouds floating past the sun. I finished the rest of my bread and wiped any crumbs from my mouth and lap, earning a shout from mom. It was a silent car ride like usual except for the continuous humming of the engine and the radio playing a song by Dua Lipa. They played her songs way too much for my liking and I was beginning to get it stuck in my head.

I closed my eyes and let my mind wander. Because of what Light was telling me, I've been kind of antsy since I didn't get the chance to hear it all. I was worried he was going to tell me he was leaving my dreams or something of the sort. Sleeping was one of my only escapes these days and not having those dreams would take a toll on me.

The car hit a bump and my head bounced off of the window. I opened my eyes and rubbed my forehead. Looking out the window, my school was just in front with a small crowd of students heading inside. The car stopped in the drop-off zone and I put on my backpack, grabbing the door handle. I fixed my hair and opened the door.

"Oh wait, Vinnie. I won't be able to pick you up so you'll have to walk home. You'll be fine walking home with Ken." Mom said. I frowned and stopped in my tracks.

"With him?" I huffed as Ken groaned.

"Yes and you better get home together, you understand?" She looked at both of us.

"Yes mom." Ken and I said at the same time.

I stepped out and closed the door. I pulled out my phone to see that I had five minutes left before the late bell rang. I ran up the steps of my school and looked back as mom's car drove away. Ken flipped me off and I returned it before walking inside.

My first period, AP Calculus, was just a few feet away so I didn't have to run. I walked into class, giving a slight smile to our teacher and sat down in my assigned seat located in the back. I sat down and took off my backpack. I placed it next to me and unzipped it. I pulled out my journal only to have it caught on my binder and fall onto the floor. I sighed, hating how this would always happen when I was taking something out. From the corner of my eye, someone walked into the classroom dressed in bright pink as the bell. I instantly knew it was Carly, the girl I hated the most. I glanced up only to instantly regret it because she was already staring straight at me.

She walked down the row and flipped her brown hair over her shoulder. I tried reaching my notebook, but it was just out of reach. I cursed under my breath as Carly's tan knee-high boots clacked towards me. Sometimes, when she wasn't a bitch to me which was when I didn't see her, I envied her clothing style.

A tan boot attached to a pale leg stepped onto my journal, digging into the cover. I'd just bought this one too. I hid my glare as I glanced up.

"Oops, I didn't see it there." Carly chuckled, a glint in her eyes. I waited for her and her two friends, Emily and Aimme passed by. Emily stepped on it too, acting as if it wasn't there,  but Aimme actually stepped over it and nudged it closer to me. She wasn't as bad as them and I knew she only followed Carly around because they'd been friends since elementary.

I finally grabbed my journal and put it on my desk, brushing off the dirt that had gotten on it from the shoes and floor. This damn vinyl tiling was way too prone to dirt. There wasn't a time these floors weren't dirty. I sighed and took out a pencil from my backpack just as the person in front of me turned away. My ex-crush Aaron Miller. My cheeks heated up slightly and I gave him a small smile. His deep blue eyes met mine and he scratched his neck. He kept opening and closing his mouth as I just stared at him. My eyes were itching to be rolled because of how girlish I was acting.

"I'm, uh, sorry about her... um..." Aaron trailed off. I internally scoffed. Of course.

"Vinnie." I mumbled and looked up. He was staring at his phone and frowning at something he read. I rolled my eyes. I needed to get over myself. He doesn't like me.

Aaron nodded and turned back around, taking out his phone as its flashlight went off. People really needed to turn that off when they received notifications. It was really annoying. The back of my head was burning and I rubbed it, knowing it was because of Carly. I bet she was jealous I had talked with her boyfriend. There was a high chance I would hear about this from her soon and I was dreading that interaction.

I glanced at the clock. This was going to be a long period.

_______________________________________
Man I really hope this chapter was good to read. Any feedback is appreciated since I kind of revisit this book a lot :P The photo in the beginning is what Vinnie's house is supposed to look like but without the snow and leafless tree XD