Chapter 45- The Unexpected

Start from the beginning

"Drake should be up, and he's not my only friend." He corrects, looking up from his phone.

"Seems like it." I tease, with a smirk I leave the room, grabbing the to-do list from the fridge and reading it over. It was the basic stuff, milk, diapers, bread, wipes, fruit and veggies; I just didn't feel too up for it, but since I have nothing better to do I might as well. "I'm going to run to the store." I announce, heading back to the living room to grab Colton. "This is your get away to go hang out with someone." I tell him, picking up Colton from the swing.

"Why don't you leave Colton with me?" JC says as I beginning changing Colton out of his jammies.

"Because you'll be with Drake and the only thing you two do is cuss and smoke the whole time." I tell him, shaking my head. I don't mind so much now leaving Colton with JC, but leaving him while Drake was around is another story.

"Do not." He scoffs, looking up from his phone, "I quit smoking." He lies.

My head turns around in a split second, pointing a finger at him and his obvious lie, "Don't you dare lie to me. Your cloths smell like smoke and so did your breath the other day even though you were chewing mint gum." I tell him, turning back around to Colton, putting a new diaper on him.

"Ok, so I slipped, but I did for two weeks." He shrugged his shoulders, looking back down at his phone again.

"Maybe you shouldn't hang out with Drake if he's going to tempt you to smoke." I mutter, wanting to keep it to myself but really not being able to. I know he tries his hardest to not smoke, but it always gets me disappointed when I find out he broke his streak. Oddly enough though, I heard pitter patter of feet coming down the stairs. Narrowing my eyes in confusion I crane my neck to see what the noise was. "SJ? What are you doing home, it's Friday?" I ask, looking at him surprised.

"I don't have school today. Mom said she told you." He says innocently, standing by the living room entrance.

"Mom didn't say anything." I said as a matter of fact. "I didn't know you were upstairs, I would have left you home all alone." I tell him, picking Colton up after putting on some clean cloths.

"Where are you going?" He asks, walking over to me when he sees me picking up Colton.

"Out to do some errands. Go change so you can come along." I tell him, nodding my head to the stairs. He runs off, up the stairs and to his room to change.

"I'll be off then." JC says, sitting up from the couch. "Maybe I'll come by later with Drake if there's nothing to do." He says.

Is my house a hangout place now? "See you later then." I tell him, putting Colton in the carrier. He waves goodbye, heading out, just in time as SJ comes down, and we head out.

===

I didn't see JC that day he went to hang out with Drake. Actually I didn't see him for three days after that. I was actually worried at one point that I called him just to make sure he was still alive. Who knows what Drake pushed him into doing? After the call though, he showed up the next day after switching shifts with someone in the morning.

"I have to go to a doctor's appointment tomorrow. Do you mind watching Colton for a couple of hours?" I ask JC politely, while putting Colton to lay on the floor on a blanket, staring at the toys hovering above him.

"Sure. Why do you have to go to the doctors again?" He asks, laying his back on the floor next to Colton.

"I have to draw blood in the morning. Then after I have another appointment with a specialist." I tell him, getting cozy on the couch, wrapping myself in a blanket and fluffing a nice pillow for me to lay on. If I could rest for ten minutes I'd be happy.