He only smiles, rubbing a hand down his face.

"Uh huh."

"Don't look so smug. I rose you, remember?" I bite back. This is just another reminder that Sire doesn't actually care what happens to the innocent people of my Pack. If their death serves him, then so be it.

He leans back in the casket as if it is the most relaxing bath he's ever taken. I suppose it would be after being in a cursed slumber for long.

"Good girl," he murmurs. "I need time to recoup my magic."

"I guess I sit with you."

I back up, sitting on the shallow pool ledge. If I leave he is just going to come for me, and this way I can hopefully talk him down from giving me the 'punishment' that he promised me.

"I should get immunity from any punishment because I did as I promised. I rose you again," I say tentatively.

He turns his head to look at me. His smirk suggests he's amused, but his eyes are cold.

"Is that right..."

"If you're feeling generous." He was right all along and he knew it. Surely his triumphant is enough payback.

He gives me a long hard look, not even considering my hopeful plea. "You tricked me. I thought you were in danger."

I rub my eyes. He is right. The fact that I trapped him underground again is only one part of the problem. The way I had to get what I want was cruel and unfair, but I wouldn't have done it if I didn't think I had to at the time.

"If there was another way of getting you where we needed you, I would have done that." It's important I convey the entire truth to him.

"I can't tell what felt worse. Thinking you were hurt, or seeing you working with Carran," he mutters.

His hands clench tighter around the edge of the casket, my heart aching.

"I'm sorry. I truly am," I insist.

"How did you come here? Did he not try stop you?" he questions.

I sigh. There is a chance Carran has had me watched since he last saw me, although I managed to get up this hill to do this without him noticing. He must be distracted by his entire Pack dying around him.

"He told me harm would come to me if you got you out," I say, rubbing my arms. "But I didn't listen. Clearly."

"He's nothing to fear, I assure you," he mutters.

"I wouldn't be sure. He hasn't been so kind to his Pack members considering everything that is going on," I tell him.

He frowns, but he doesn't look surprised. I didn't have many reasons to trust Sire before, but in retrospect, I feel like a blind fool who has been proved wrong in many ways.

"Is Hazel okay?" Sire asks gently.

I blink. "You care about her?"

"She is your best friend. Of course I care," I says.

"Hazel is okay. She hasn't contracted the sickness," I tell him, letting out a long sigh.

That seems to be the only positive thing that has happened to me recently. Hazel is okay, for now, but that may change, which is why I'm here, risking everything.

His gaze softens. "And you?"

"I'm okay," I assure him, lowering my gaze.

I forgot what it feels like to have his full attention. He is the one person in the world that cares for me beyond anything superficial. When he asks if I'm okay, it's because he will do anything to ensure I am if I'm not.