Chapter 41: Emily

Beginne am Anfang

"You're so fucking sexy." He pressed his mouth to mine.

"Please," I rasped. "Please, fuck me."

"As you wish." He gathered me up and sat me back on the bed. "On your knees." He demanded as he unbuckled his pants. I obeyed, keeping my eyes on him. He pulled a condom from his pocket, ripping the packet open and sheathing himself. He stepped out of his pants and underwear and climbed in the bed behind me. He rubbed my bottom and grabbed a hold of my hair, positioning himself at my opening. "Hang on, sweetheart." He growled as he pushed into me, I moaned with pleasure, grabbing a hold of the bar on the headboard as he pulled out and pushed in again.

A frantic knock on the door had him stilling inside me.

"Go away." He growled. The pounding continued.

"Jay, we really need you out here." Ashley's frantic voice drifted through the door.

"I'm a little busy." He said through gritted teeth.

"I know. I'm sorry." I could tell something was wrong by the sound of her voice. "But it's... it's Lucy." At the mention of her name I pulled away from him. I rolled over and looked up. "She's threatening to jump off the balcony if Jay doesn't come talk to her." He closed his eyes and blew out a deep breath, running his hand down his face.

"God dammit." He cursed. "Where the fuck is Casey?"

"She's with her, but she says she's going to jump unless you come out."

He looked down at me with a pained look. I sighed and blew out a breath.

"Just go." I whispered, biting back the tears. He reluctantly climbed out of bed, pulling off the condom and stepping back into his khakis. He sat back down and cupped my cheek, wiping away the stray tear that had managed to escape, despite me trying not to. He pressed his lips gently to mine.

"I'll be right back. I love you." He stood and started for the door.

"Jay," I called after him. He stopped and turned back to me. I just held my bound hands up to him. He quickly untied me, placing a quick kiss on my forehead before leaving me laying half naked, laying in my bed, unsatisfied, on my birthday.

I had just pulled my panties back on and sat up on the edge of the bed when there was a knock at my door. I looked up to see Ashley standing in the doorway in her purple corset.

"Hey. Are you okay?"

I snorted and wiped my eyes. "He's always going to run back to her, isn't he?"

"Honey, no." Ashley sat beside me and wrapped her arms around my shoulders.

"I don't know why I thought we could be a normal couple." I dropped my head into my hands.

"You guys are a real couple. It will just take her some time for her to accept it."

I snorted and clutched the pendent he had put around my neck earlier in the evening. "I'm tired of waiting."

"I know, but it's clear how much he cares for you. And I know you care for him too."

"He told me he loved me tonight." I confessed.

"See," she beamed. "There is nothing like being in love with someone."

"Love is stupid."

"You may think that right now, but there is nothing like the joy and happiness that being in love with someone brings."

I sighed. I hoped she was right, but at this moment, I felt like love wasn't going to be enough for us.

"You and I both know that Jay isn't someone who is going to standby when someone needs his help," she continued. "And I think that is part of the reason you fell for him."

She's right. I had fallen for him because he was a kind and giving human. He was funny, sweet, and passionate. He was everything I had ever wanted. I wanted what Ashley had with Will. I wanted my forever love. Maybe I was just naive, but I knew in my heart that Jay was my person.

"Do you think we should go see if she jumped?" Ashley broke our silence. I laughed and wiped my eyes. I reached over and embraced Ashley in a hug.

"Thank you for always being here for me," I squeezed her. "Even if it always seems to be in our underwear."

Ashley laughed too. "True friendships have no boundaries."

The two of us hugged for a few more seconds, then we made our way into the living room.

Several couples still danced, their half clad torsos pressed against each other, oblivious to what was happening just outside. As we neared the front door, all sounds seemed to cease. It wasn't until I had stepped over the threshold and spotted Lucy standing hazardously on the rail in her bare feet that all the sound came rushing back. I stumbled a little, but Ashley was there to hold me steady. My eyes drifted from Lucy to Jay, who was standing next to the rail, looking up at her. I could tell he was talking, but I couldn't hear what he was saying.

Casey and Mia rushed up to Ashley and me.

"Em," Mia looked grim. "I went and got Casey as soon as this started. I'm so sorry."

I shook my head. "What happened?"

"She lost it when she saw the two of you go into your bedroom."

"I tried talking to her." Casey piped in. "But she wasn't listening. She said she wanted Jay or she was jumping."

"Shit." I cursed, shaking my head. I expected to feel guilty, but I didn't. I was angry and hurt. This was supposed to be my night. Mine and his . But per usual, Lucy has found a way to make it about her.

"What exactly did you expect to happen?" Casey shot at me, crossing her arms across her chest. "Did you just expect her to be okay with this?"

"Maybe I am just selfish." I let the tears pour from my eyes as I stared at the back of Jay's head.

"Damn right you are. You always have to take what isn't yours."

I was taken aback by her words. I couldn't even speak.

"Don't do that, Case." Mia said.

"Do what?" Casey frowned. "Blame her for coming to town and spreading her legs and stealing someone else's boyfriend again? Or for causing my best friend to try and commit suicide again?"

"I didn't steal Jay from anyone just like I didn't steal Alex from you." I tore my eyes off Jay's back, glancing at Casey. I felt my heart rip a little and I had to bite back a sob. Maybe that's exactly what I did. Maybe I'm the toxic friend. I pulled away from Mia and Ashley and pushed my way back inside. I went straight to the bar and poured myself a shot of Vodka. I quickly threw it back and poured another.

Jay appeared in the doorway and our eyes locked. He had one arm wrapped around Lucy as she leaned into him. As my heart shattered, I threw back the second shot of Vodka. He escorted Lucy down the hall to her room and I had to hold onto the counter to keep from falling to the floor. I instead poured another shot.

"Happy birthday to me."