Chapter 21

The arrival of Rhaenyra and Laenor and their family on Dragonstone was actually a much needed addition, and now the castle felt warmer and livelier than ever in these past few weeks since their arrival. Rhaenyra and Laenor were each happier now that they did not have to feign this act of a love marriage between them, and they could each indulge in whatever they wished.

Laenor and Ser Qarl, one of his knights, were happy together, and they spent many hours sparring in the courtyard or the fields, along with Daemon and Ser Roderick. Rhaenyra and Rhaellanne would usually go flying while they did this and returned all smiles.

The children were as happy as could be, and were inseparable now. Even the young Eleana and Vaelon were becoming part of their games, however Joffrey of course remained in his crib or with his mother. The four older ones though, seemed to find new ways to get into mischief every day, and it amused their parents endlessly.

Baelor, as the oldest, had also taken a very protective stance on his cousins now and it was a heart warming sight to see when he would keep them safe no matter how silly or risky their ideas were, and in return Jace and Luke looked up to him like some sort of legend

The three boys now all trained together with their swords in the front yard, and of course Baelor was still better than them since he had been training much harder for much longer, but Jace and Luke were definitely beginning to improve under his care. Lyanna had been jealous with how much time they spent together and she tried to join them, but after losing to all of them on her first time, she refused to come back. However, she had picked up a bow and arrow instead and was now training herself with that.

Ser Roderick's already chaotic life dealing with Daemon and Rhaellanne's children was now even more chaotic since Jace and Luke had started jumping on him as well, and now it was a rare sight to see him anywhere without at least one of the four older children following him around.

Dragon flying had also become part of their routines with Rhaenyra and Laenor, since Vermax and Arrax were still too small to be ridden. However, Rhaellanne had taken over in helping Jace and Luke each bond to their dragons and she was teaching them how to touch them and call for them in the wild with no restricting walls or chains involved.

This had been something Laenor and Rhaenyra were nervous about at first, but when they watched Jace and Luke stroking their dragons on the fields of the island happily, they warmed to the idea. 

Even their dragons seemed to enjoy having more of them around, and they had formed an almost pack-like care for one and other, and it was clear to all that Cannibal was the alpha of that pack as he was the biggest, the oldest, and the scariest. He protected his own species, but he also protected his growing family.

All in all, life seemed perfect for the happy, extended Targaryen family on Dragonstone.

❖❖❖❖

With Rhaenyra and Laenor staying at Dragonstone, there was also more work to be done, and so since they arrived, Rhaellanne and Daemon had had to have more staff introduced, and she was currently dishing out assignments for the tutors concerning what the children were going to be taught

"Rhaellanne" said Ser Roderick as he entered the throne room where she was. Rhaellanne dismissed the others in the room and allowed him to come in "This came for you this morning" He passed her the rolled up parchment and Rhaellanne opened the paper and scanned its contents, with her heart dropping out of her chest with each word that she read

Rhaellanne,

I can't believe I am writing these words so soon, but something unimaginable has happened. Laena went into labour last night, but no matter what the Maesters tried, the babe would not come out and she could do no more. They told me that I could make a choice to remove the babe by knife but Laena would not allow me to have to make such a decision, and instead she chose her own fate.