Cat's in the Cradle (a hybrid story)

Start from the beginning

Rain opens one eye and coos sleepily at him before settling down back to sleep. "Okay, fine. It must be nice to be a cat. Your breakfast is on the table when you get ready for it, lazy."

Sky meets the other cat's owner in the elevator again. He notes that the man is wearing a very expensive suit and tie and decides he must be some sort of business man. He is very handsome but Sky reminds himself that he is not interested, besides he looks a little like a playboy. He gives Sky a charming smile and says his name is Pai. "Sky," he returns shortly hoping the guy will pick up the hint that he doesn't really want to talk from his terse reply.

No such luck, Pai says, "If you would like to get together and, um, discuss hybrids sometime feel free to come up to the penthouse whenever."

Of course it would be the penthouse, Sky thinks. A playboy and a spoiled rich boy. Figures. "No, thank you." Sky answers and quickly leaves as the elevator opens.

Pai watches the cute boy leave. He had just come home long enough to shower and dress for work and was lucky enough to run into Sky again. Phayu certainly had good tastes, at least in cat owners, he thinks with a grin. Such a cold boy but oh so adorable.

Sky frowns at Rain, "You are getting so fat. I am sure I have your diet balanced right and I know you get plenty of exercise." He looks toward the treat cabinet and the fridge, their cat proof locks still in place. "Have you figured out a way to get into the treats without my knowledge?" Rain just blinks at him and Sky can feel waves of what can only be described as smugness coming from him. Rain purrs loudly. That's another thing Rain purrs almost constantly lately. Also, although Rain has always been affectionate in the six months Sky has known him, in the past two months he has constantly wanted affection from Sky. Always wanting to snuggle or be petted when he isn't sleeping or eating.

Well Rain has his vet appointment this weekend, Sky will just add it to the list of things to ask about.

Rain watches Sky leave then looks expectantly towards the balcony door. Phayu always seems to know when Sky leaves. Sure enough he is there blinking in at Rain. Today he has brought Rain a piece of chicken, it's almost as if instinctively knows just what Rain is craving. Rain opens the door for him and Phayu immediately rubs softly up against Rain taking special care to rub his head on Rain's abdomen and purr in a comforting manner.

Sky looks at the vet in astonishment, "He's what?"

"Pregnant." The vet repeats with amusement.

"But he hasn't left the apartment." Sky sits down and puts his head in his hands. Of course he knew that hybrids could get pregnant but he had watched Rain closely. He couldn't afford kittens, it's all he can do to afford himself and Rain and the latter is mostly because of donations to the emotional support program. He's still only a student living on a part time job. His father sends an allowance but it's just enough to cover tuition and his apartment.

"I don't know what to tell you," the vet says, "but the tests are conclusive." He shows Sky the ultrasound and points out the three blobs that he says are kittens.

Sky looks at Rain who just grins back at him smugly and purrs. "Naughty boy." Sky says in exasperation.

Pai watches in amazement as Phayu paces moodily around the apartment. Phayu has always been independent and down right controlling for a pet but lately he has been extremely keyed up as well. Now he jumps to a high shelf and eyes Pai's prize crystal vase that he won in an auction. It's not the most expensive thing in the apartment but it's still worth several thousand baht.

"Don't you dare," he tells Phayu.

Phayu looks Pai directly in the eyes before swiping a hand out and knocking the vase to the floor, shattering it. Pai considers sitting down on the floor and crying. Instead he says, "What's got you so fired up?"