Market Mayhem

Previously on Calamitous Intervention

The annual Covention was in town, and Anne, alongside King, knowing Eda's business will be quiet for the entire day, convinced Eda to take them there. When she arrived, she met up with Willow and Gus, and came across Amity, who challenged her to a Witch's Duel. The human accepted and they had a battle in the theater. After saving King's life, Eda discovered Amity's power glyph and humiliated her in front of the crowd. Anne went to talk to her and now the tension has lessened between the two.

Chapter Twelve - Market Mayhem

In the living room of the Owl House, Eda and her palisman Owlbert were playing a card game; the two fiercely invested, as Anne and King watched. Eda pulled out some cards from her hands, which magically glanced up at her as she sported a very fierce and cunning stare. Owlbert did the same back, perching on the table.

"Watch closely, Anne," Eda advised the human. "Hexes Hold'em is the most tricky game on the Boiling Isles. Any proper witch knows how to play." She grabbed one card from her deck already in her hands and lifted it in the air.

Anne could only stare at the two of them, not too invested or attracted to this game. Despite this, she couldn't help but record it with her phone. Not every day do you see a witch playing a magic card game with an owl.

Eda took the card with a red demon figure on it and rested it on the table, already neatly populated by several other cards. Suddenly, the cards began to electrify, crackling with energy and shaking up this game quite a notch, startling the owl as he flew onto the floor right below the table for safety.

As Owlbert peeked up to barely see the table and cards, the cards had sprung to life, sprouting thin black arms and legs, equally divided into two teams. One of the cards suddenly roared, making the other cards do the same. Owlbert's cards all charged toward Eda's side, startling King a bit, but Eda showed no fear.

"Now, when it looks like the deck is stacked against you," Eda confidently said, "that's when you break out... the wild card." She snatched another card from her deck depicting a fork-shaped tower on a red background and held it up proudly with a large grin on her face, aiming the card at the table.

Eda's wild card glowed green, radiating a curious but dangerous amount of energy, as it instantly disintegrated Owlbert's cards, reducing them to tiny flaming piles before disappearing altogether. Suddenly, a batch of fire materialized above the table before revealing the text "WINNER: EDA", spelled out in large flaming letters, before fading away just a second later.

Owlbert hopped back onto the table, the game over, and hooted at the witch as he extended his wings.

Having felt a sense of pride and accomplishment, Eda cheerfully raised her fists into the air and whooped in victory. "I win!", before lowering her stance and pointing at Owlbert, still perching on the table and playfully teasing him. "In your adorable owl face."

The witch stood back up, slightly stretching her back, knowing she was at the top of her world right now. "I love the feeling of victory," she boasted with her eyes confidently closed, excelling at one of the most popular games to play on the Isles. "It feels... fluffy?" She opened her eyes and glanced aside in confusion, not noticing her arms had begun sprouting little black feathers, a very uncomfortable warning sign.

Anne gasped when she saw this, having already spent a full night seeing the horrors of Eda's curse. "Oh, no... Eda, your curse!"

"What's that about my curse?" Eda said, not looking too concerned, and still not knowing what she was talking about.