Bessie The Snail / Breakout Star

Start from the beginning

"Like I said, too much description," Sprig said, losing interest and walking off back into the house. Despite the aggravatingly long descriptions, she continued reading, starting to gain an interest in the story. Shortly after, she got to the bit where Hop Pop bought Bessie from an auction, addicted to the long and descriptive writing.

And it was at that moment I realized Bessie was no ordinary snail, but a kind, clear soul who would help others at a drop of a hat. I raised my bid to four hundred copper pieces, winning the auction, and in the process, saving Bessie from the nefarious Jim Snapes.

She pumped her fist in the air, laughing. "Yes! Bessie really dodged a bullet there." And then, what felt like hours later, she got to her favorite part of the whole novel. She teared up as she read the bit where they were stranded, never having expected to get emotional over a book like this.

Before she could go any further, the front door of the house opened and Sprig walked out, yawning. "Come on, Luz. Can't we do something fun? You've been reading that for nearly an hour."

"But it's so good!" Luz protested. The noise got Hop Pop's attention, and he walked out in frustration, holding a spoon. "What is all this yellin'? I'm trying to cook!"

He noticed Luz reading the manual and his eyes lit up, walking over to look at the page. "You're already there? I'm impressed! How is it so far?"

"So far, it's much better than expected," Luz replied, not taking her eyes off the page.

"Why are you so interested in Bessie, anyway?" Sprig asked her. "I don't think you need to read an entire novel to learn to drive a snail."

"I want to explore this amazing world," Luz explained. "That's why I want to learn to drive her. I want to see more, and maybe even find Stringbean along the way. I've missed her for days now."

"Well, you heard her, Sprig," Hop Pop said. "Once you read all about Bessie, you'll need experience. It takes practice to get into the rhythm. But isn't it a bit too dangerous for you to explore further than Wartwood?"

"I know how to get out of a dangerous situation, and I'll be back before nightfall when I do drive her," Luz assured the old frog. "Even if Bessie can't get away, I have potions."

Hop Pop was still skeptical about this, but ultimately decided to shrug it off. "Eh, okay, but I won't save you if you get yourself into a pickle."

After they left, she continued reading, getting to a part that actually made her feel emotional.

The snow swirled around us, and I knew we were doomed. I could feel the strength leaving my body bit by bit. The sweet embrace of eternity crept closer and closer. Until suddenly I heard a sound pulling me back. Bessie... Bessie was singing!

She sniffed, wiping tears from her eyes. "I'm gonna give that big, slimy sweetie a hug when I see her again. I should read more of Hop Pop's books. He definitely has to know more about this world than he lets on, right?"

Later that night, she finally finished reading the novel, feeling tired and emotional after processing everything in her mind. She yawned and closed her eyes, leaning her head on the book as she quickly fell asleep outside, not having enough energy to go to bed.

The next morning, she woke up, feeling her face sticking to the dusty old book. She managed to pry it off, rubbing her cheek as she remembered everything from yesterday. She smiled, getting up and walking into the house to greet the Plantars. "Good morning!"

"It's noon, Luz," Hop Pop corrected her. "Have you been readin' all night long?"

"I definitely have," Luz confirmed, showing him the book. "I finished reading it last night. It was a beautiful story! You wrote all of this?"