Interview with @MoYun_ZJ

In celebration of Asian American and Pacific Islander Heritage Month, we are highlighting stories written by Asian and Pacific Islander authors. Today's interview is with MoYun_ZJ, whose story was 17x Featured and placed 2nd in Rock Fiction (Punk Rock Awards) and 2nd in Lore Awards. 

About the Author: Mo Yun is a Singaporean-Chinese writer living in the sunny city-state of Singapore

About the AuthorMo Yun is a Singaporean-Chinese writer living in the sunny city-state of Singapore. She works in the wellness industry by day, and dreams up stories in her spare time. When she's not busy with her day job or writing, she also dabbles in holistic nutrition, herbal concoctions, aromatherapy and the occasional mandarin voiceover project.

About 'A Sliver of Frost': Trapped in the mortal realm, Yun Zhi, an immortal Celestian, meets the gifted pathfinder Xiao Che. Together, they set out on a journey of music and magic to unravel the secrets of Xiao Che's murky past, while navigating the even darker rhythms of the human heart.A xianxia retelling of the Cowherd and the Weaving Maid, filled with music and magic.

1. Tell us a little bit about yourself!

Hello! I'm a Singaporean Chinese writer who writes mainly speculative fiction on Wattpad. I'm fluent in English and Chinese, and have dabbled in the occasional Chinese-to-English translation gig, as well as a few Mandarin voiceover projects. Writing is my passion, but my full time job is actually in the wellness industry — thus, I also have an active interest in aromatherapy, herbalism and holistic nutrition. I love coming up with aromatherapy and herbal concoctions, and often write with the scent of custom-blended essential oils in the background when I wish to set the mood of a scene. 

2. How do you identify within the Asian American and Pacific Islander community and how has your heritage shaped the person you are today?

As someone who was born and bred in Singapore, I identify first and foremost as a Singaporean who is also of the Chinese race. Singapore is a multiracial country made up mainly of immigrants, and I love how my country is a melting pot of different cultures, Chinese, Malay, Indian and many more — assimilating and coexisting peacefully alongside one another. If you've been to Singapore, you'll notice how Singlish (our colloquial English) reflects this—being made up of a barrage of vocabulary and grammar from different languages. 

My grandparents emigrated from China and my family still maintains strong ties to our relatives there. This, plus the fact that I grew up in a Chinese-speaking household with Chinese-educated parents means that I was instilled with an appreciation for my heritage from a young age. I'm proud to be Chinese, but also aware that concepts of race and nationhood are fluid and ever changing. I'm lucky to be able to grow up in a place where I can enjoy the best of both worlds; one where I can celebrate my racial heritage without qualms, while also appreciating other cultures and maintaining a cosmopolitan worldview.  

3. Does your family have any traditions that are important to you? Feel free to share at least one experience here!

My family is pretty traditional, and concepts like respect for the elders and filial piety are very important. The first thing I do whenever I enter a relative's home is to greet all the seniors who are present. This can take a while, because there are different terms of address for each family member. So if I have three aunties from my paternal side present, I'd have to go "da gu ma 大姑妈, er gu ma 二姑妈, san gu ma 三姑妈..." (Eldest Auntie, second auntie, third auntie...etc) and so on, before I can be excused.