Ball of Silence - Chapter 12

Chapter 12

         Flin is completely beside himself that my hearing has returned. Regardless, Priar insists I shall go to the otologist on Celam's station. To make him happy and for my own assurance, I promise to go.

         The crystal's humming accompanies me wherever I go, even when I leave the ship without it. Although I can only hear a little so far, I feel almost normal. I anxiously wait for further weirdness, like tasting Sina with my skin. But nothing else strange happens.

We take on the Celam cargo in the afternoon and jump the next day.

         My crew insists on accompanying me to the doctor. He examines me and, as I expected, finds nothing.

"Be patient, your hearing will gradually return. You shouldn't worry, Mr. Sufford," he says.

Sina, Priar, and Flin are more relieved than I am.  

#

         When we return from the doctor, a bullish Asian guy in worker's pants and a leather jacket stands at the closed airlock to the Voice.

"Ah, Captain Sufford. Finally. That was quite an unkind maneuver that you pulled, jumping out on me at Herlam."

"You're that fucking bounty hunter," Flin says, before I can open my mouth.

The guy gives a mocking bow. Flin pulls his club from his belt and charges the bounty hunter.

"Flin, what—" I say, but Flin has already grabbed him by the collar with his left hand. The bounty hunter hasn't quite expected that and stares up at Flin, a head taller than he is.

"Now listen to me, you fucking idiot. You're gonna leave us the fuck alone. The crystal broke, it's gone, sayonara, and we ain't got twenty thousand credits or shit to feed some fucking rich sucker who doesn't need more fucking credits. We've got no time for this stupid crap. Get out of our fucking way and shove your fucking crystal up your ass. And if you don't listen to me, I'm gonna break your bones into a thousand pieces like that fucking crystal! You got me, asshole?"

My mouth hangs open. During his speech, Flin lifts the guy with his left hand, his right hand ready to strike with the club.

"Whoa... dude, calm down. I'm only doin' my job here," the bounty hunter says.

"Yeah, me too, and you leave us the fuck alone. Ain't worth risking your bones for it."

I quickly glance over to Sina and Priar. Priar grins; Sina is stunned. I am speechless.

"Get the fuck out of my sight. If I find you hanging around our ship again, I'm gonna use this club, man. Don't doubt it for a fucking second."

Flin shoves the guy down the corridor. The bounty hunter stumbles and falls. Landing on his backside, he looks vulnerable next to Flin.

Flin nods at me. "Get into the ship."

I take Sina by the arm, while Flin stands broad-legged, weighing his club in his hands, glaring at the bounty hunter.

The man quickly scrambles to his feet, considering his options in the face of Flin's righteous anger. He decides to flip Flin the finger and to walk away.

Flin follows us into the ship and closes the cargo bay door.

"Fucking hell," he says and shudders.

I pat his shoulder. "Thanks, Flin."

He gives me another nod and hooks his club back to his belt.