Chapter 10: An Unexpected Revelations

Tuesday morning, March 7th, dawned with the soft glow of sunlight filtering through the curtains. Rumaisa stirred awake, stretching languidly as she rolled out of bed. She glanced around her room, taking in the sight of her art supplies scattered across her desk and the books piled haphazardly on the floor.

"Time to get this place in order," she muttered to herself.

She began her morning routine, tidying her room by neatly arranging her books and picking up stray items. Next, she grabbed a broom and started sweeping the floor, humming softly to herself as she worked. After cleaning, she headed to the bathroom to brush her teeth and comb her hair, tying it back into a neat braid.

Downstairs, the aroma of freshly made parathas filled the air. Her mother, Saba, was bustling around the kitchen, preparing breakfast. Rumaisa joined her at the table, where a plate of hot parathas and a bowl of chatni awaited her.

"Good morning, Ami," Rumaisa greeted, taking a seat.

"Good morning, beta. Did you sleep well?" Saba asked.

"So, any plans for today?"

"Not really. I might do some painting later," Rumaisa said, tearing off a piece of the paratha and dipping it in chatani (saus). "Do you need any help around the house?"

"Actually, yes. We need some groceries-oil and salt, specifically. Can you go to the market and get them?" Saba asked.

"Sure, I can do that," Rumaisa agreed, finishing her breakfast. "Anything else we need?"

"That's it for now," Saba instructed.

By 10 AM, Rumaisa was on her way to the market. The streets were already bustling with activity, vendors calling out their wares and children playing nearby. The sun was shining brightly, casting a warm glow over the colorful stalls lining the road.

Turning a corner, she suddenly spotted Aariz riding his bicycle ahead of her. She recognized him instantly, his black hair short and thick, and the confident way he pedaled down the road. Relief washed over her when she realized he hadn't seen her. The last thing she wanted was an awkward encounter with him.

"Why is he everywhere these days?" she wondered, shaking her head. "I really need to figure out what's going on."

After seeing Aariz, Rumaisa quickly made a plan to go to Shama's home to uncover the truth about the proposal.

Upon arriving at Shama's home, she found Shama in the living room with her younger brother and sister.

"Hey, Shama," Rumaisa greeted, glancing at the siblings.

"Hey, finally you are here. I was waiting for you," Shama replied cheerfully.

"Can we talk for a minute? Alone?" Rumaisa asked, lowering her voice.

"They're not listening, relax," Shama assured her.

"Please," Rumaisa insisted.

"Sure, let's go to my room," Shama replied, leading Rumaisa down the hallway.

Once they were in the privacy of Shama's room, Rumaisa wasted no time. "Where's my letter?" she demanded.

Shama looked at her quizzically. "Letter? What letter?"

"The rejection letter. I told you to deliver it to Aariz," Rumaisa clarified, her voice tinged with frustration and confusion.

Shama burst out laughing. "Oh, that! Rumy, it was just a joke. We wanted to see if you'd actually fall for someone."

Rumaisa's eyes brightened with relief. "So, it wasn't real? Aariz didn't send any proposal? And you didn't give my letter to him?"

Shama shook her head, still chuckling. "No, I didn't give it to Aariz."

Rumaisa sighed, relieved yet annoyed. "Then give my letter back to me."

"I don't have it," Shama said. "I gave it to Nabeel."

"Why? Who is Nabeel?" Rumaisa asked, confused.

"Nabeel is Aariz's friend, and also our classmate," Shama explained.

Rumaisa felt even more confused. "I really don't understand."

"Oh dear Rumy... It's a long story. Listen," Shama said, trying to clarify, "Aariz really likes you. He told Nabeel about his feelings, and Nabeel is helping him contact you. Nabeel couldn't talk to you directly, so he asked me to talk to you. Now do you understand everything?"

"What? It means it's true but one second ago you were saying it was a prank."

"No, no prank."

Rumaisa nodded slowly, her mind trying to process the information.

"So, my letter is already delivered to Aariz?" Her eyes widened with terror.

"Yes," Shama confirmed. "But the proposal is true. What I said about it being a prank was just a joke."

She was shocked, confused, and didn't know what to do.

"I'm just going home, bye," Rumaisa said, feeling overwhelmed as she left Shama's house and headed to the market, her thoughts swirling with this new revelation.

As she made her way to the market, she couldn't shake off the confusion and uncertainty. Then she entered the market, the familiar sights and sounds did little to calm her racing thoughts.

After finishing her grocery shopping, she decided to head straight home, eager to escape the whirlpool of emotions swirling inside her.

As she walked down the busy street, she suddenly saw Aariz cross her path from the left. He was with his friend, Nabeel, who was cycling while Aariz sat on the back of the bicycle. Her heart skipped a beat at the sight of them, but she quickly turned her face away, hoping they wouldn't notice her.

As they continued down the road, Rumaisa kept her distance, trying to process everything that had happened. Aariz liking her was something she hadn't anticipated, and now that it seemed true, she wasn't sure how to react.

Look back...

She glanced back discreetly, recognizing Nabeel now that she had seen him up close. The two boys seemed engrossed in their conversation, oblivious to her presence.

Or maybe ignoring

"Why is he everywhere today?" she wondered again, feeling a mix of emotions-surprise, confusion, and a strange fluttering in her stomach.

Relief washed over her as they moved farther away, but a small part of her couldn't help but wonder what they were talking about. Was it about her? The thought made her uneasy.

Shaking off her thoughts, Rumaisa continued her walk home, her pace quickening as she clutched the grocery bag tightly. The familiar sights and sounds of the market gradually faded as she approached her neighborhood. She felt a sense of comfort returning as the houses became more recognizable, their doors adorned with colorful designs and plants blooming in the front yards.

~Tasneem

(As-salamu alaykum wa rahmatullahi wa barakatuhu, dosto)
Hello buddies. How are you doing?
Enjoy Reading. 1200 Words. 29/04/23.
Vote. Read. Comment. Share. As You Wish. No Pressure.

Allahumdolliah 🤲, I want to thank you 💓 all, my readers 🤓, for your 650 reads ☺️, 350 votes 😍 , and so many lovely comments 🤗. That is so sweet 🌷 of youuuuuu ❤️. And I'm glad ❣️ you appreciated 🤩 my story 📚. I will try to update ✍️ as soon as possible 👉.