•32• Happy Ending •32•

Start from the beginning

"How's the sigil stuff going?"
I asked, interested.

Raine returned a slightly disappointed expression and looked down.
"We've been working on this for years, and... today felt like it was THE day, you know? ...but we failed. Again."

They took a deep breath.

"We are very frustrated. I shouldn't say stuff like this, but it feels like we, no matter how, can't erase the scars that that terrible, terrible person left on each and every person of these isles."

I struggled to find the right words.
In my work I have encountered a lot of frustration, but it is not equal to what the engineers at Hexside are trying to do.

"No. No, you are wrong."
Hunter said sternly.
"You guys are going to find a way to let wild magic thrive. I know you can do this. The remains of HIS actions shall not taint our future."

I looked at him in awe.
The determination in his voice made my heart flutter.
Raine's mood got better.

"And,"
Hunter added.
"I think a brilliant person just got free of her duties and is ready to help."

He wrapped an arm around my shoulder.
"Right, Y/n?"

It took me a couple seconds to digest what he was trying to do before I smiled.
"Oh, heck yeah!"

Raine's expression lit up.
"So we'll talk over everything tomorrow at your first day of work, right?"

"Yes!"
I clapped my hands.

"Great, everything's settled."
Hunter smiled.
"But we still have a new house to move into, bun."

-------------------

I never realised we had so much stuff.

As I put away the last box, I felt exhausted, yet accomplished.

The house looked like... well, a house.
Our own house.
Not someone else's, not a shelter in the streets or by hexside, not a small room in the castle.
Finally, a place I can truly call home.

Some places here were still dark since we didn't finish with all the lights. It made a strange atmosphere, but nonetheless I knew I was safe.

"OWW!"
Hunter wined when a shelf he tried to install fell straight onto his head.

"Are you okay?"
I hurried over to him.
The shelf fell for three inches at most, so no damage should be caused to any of the parties in this accident.

"Yeah, it's fine."
He slightly winced in pain as he reached to touch his head.
And then his expression wound up empty.

Hun was already used to seeing his reflection, with all the pink marks on his skin. It took some time, but he became more comfortable interacting with older men without bracing himself every time they moved too suddenly.

But now, when he felt the roughly textured set of scars on his head combined with the pain, it all came back to him.
The worst night of his life.

"He is not here..."
I said softly as I took his hand in mine.
He gulped and nodded while slowly breathing like Gus taught him all those years ago.

"R-Right, right. It's stupid, he is long gone."
He sighed.
"No matter how hard I try to forget, I always go back to these days. I am pathetic."

"Hun... it's completely understandable."

"What if I'll never get over it? What if in a twisted way of fate, I become like him and-"

"HUNTER."
I cut him off.
"You are nothing like him."

He stared at me as he let my words sink in. My thumb brushed his cheek before I leaned in for a kiss. Hunter happily accepted it, wrapping his arms around me and pulling me closer.

"Right. I bet I am the better kisser."
He let himself loosen up and joke.

"Oh, totally. He was terrible."
I rolled my eyes.

"EwEW DON'T REMIND ME OF THAT!"
He complained and we both bursted in laughter.

I rested my head on his chest as we looked at the ceiling.
The comfortable silence calmed us both.

"You have a good heart. I know you'd be a wonderful father one day. You'd never treat anyone the way he treated you."
I said out of the blue.

"Huh? Father?"

"Us... One day... Maybe... adopt someone and have a little family together?"

"I like the idea."
He hummed, smiling to himself, imagining that kind of future.

A phone-bird flew through the open window and towards Hunter.
He picked it up.
"Good evening, Darius."

"Evening. Listen, Prince, Camila asked me to remind you that Luz's birthday party is starting soon. Make sure you come to the portal on time."

"It's TODAY?!
----I-I mean, sure, we'll be there."
He mumbled before hanging up and making us both stand up, as much as I wanted to stay in the comfort of our floor.

But Lillith and King worked very hard on making this party happen, with all the human traditions Camila told them about.
Missing it would be unforgivable.

So as we greeted Luz, clapping loudly, as we excitingly announced that the boiling Isles was completely rebuilt and can finally return to normal and as we looked at the shooting stars... I knew that this is what I've always wanted.

Me from years ago could only DREAM of having a house, friends, family, job, and...

I glanced at Hunter, that kept me by his side all these years. He glanced at me, too, gave me a beautiful smile and a short peck on the lips before he returned to look at the meteor shower.
I rested my head on his shoulder and looked at the sky again.

Huh.
Who would've thought that two grimwalkers could live past their creator?
Past the old life of blind obedience?
However we still kinda disobeyed the rules in our own secret way, even when we didn't quite understand what it was that we were feeling.

Even if it was out of dark desperation, I am SO GLAD I went to the night market and met my-future-zither Raine.
If they didn't convince me to train hard and join the coven of my dreams, the golden guard would've never take interest in me.

And if I didn't join the owl lady and King at the time that Luz and Hun got stuck on the emperor's mind... who knows what could've happened.

I know I am at the right place now.
I know Hunter truly loves me, he waited so long for me to finally be comfortable with kissing, and I truly love him, and I will wait as long as I need to until we'd be ready for adoption.

Our relationship... maybe it was fate, considering how we were created. And even if it's not, we've passed every harsh obstacle hand-in-hand.
I can't wait for my happy future in the boiling Isles.

"I love you."

"Love you, too."

~End