Chapter Twenty-Eight

Start from the beginning

We were six questions deep when the one we'd anticipated finally surfaced. It was a news reporter. He wore a Channel 10 polo and the same feral glint in his eyes as his cameraman, who was off in the corner. 'We've got a source that says Luna Iris didn't come today because she does not support the new policy. Would you be able to confirm that for us?'

Whispers shot out around the room as Kaden braced himself to answer.

The secret of where Channel 10 had gotten its source was something we had anticipated ever since Iris had torn the drafted policy in front of us with a snarl. You are children, she had growled, and I had watched Kaden's eyes turn amber in response. You are going to ruin us. Those people are animals. Kaden had stayed silent as she'd roared, her eyes flashing. She had focused those eyes on me, and it had taken everything in me not to cower away as she snarled. I will never support this policy.

She hadn't left much unsaid as she'd paced the edge of the meeting room for an hour, but Iris had been smart enough not to say the words, even though the implication was there. I will never support this policy made by you.

It had set our plan back by an entire week as we'd had to set up an appeal meeting with the Goddess Selene. While frustrating, it was still informative to see firsthand what happened when an Alpha and a Luna could not make a decision. Both parties must put forth an appeal to the goddess, who then makes the final call. It is rare and not something many Alphas or Lunas turn to, but it was a necessary failsafe, and both Kaden and I agreed this policy was worth fighting for. After what felt like a gruelling back and forth only ended up being three days, we were granted Selene's Blessing to continue.

Kaden hadn't said much, but he was worried about the fallout of the argument.

'Elliot Clarke represents the Luna of the Vermiculo pack today as this was something that she and I worked hard on together. She is the best person to speak on its topic.'

Silence thundered through the hall. Even the shutter of the cameras ceased as the world around us stalled. It was a bold claim, considering Iris had not permitted us to use the title, but there was no other way to answer the question without actually answering. The dissent growing between Kaden and Iris was dangerous if word ever got out. With Kaden being new to his role as Alpha and struggling to agree with the Luna, a precarious target would be laid upon the pack if anyone found out. There wouldn't be many chances for the pack's leadership to be as weak as they were as they tried to develop their routines and hierarchy.

People were watching.

One wrong move could cause packs to ally together and bring the powerhouse of the Vermiculo pack down before Kaden could fully settle into his new role.

Hana Daugherty's expression was savage as she stepped up to the microphone, but as the cameras panned to her, the animosity faded into a serene, pleasant smile.

I knew not to trust that smile.

'It is common knowledge that Miss Clarke was the first to speak on the Umbra pack's behalf at the National Werewolf Conference.' How she found out what was discussed at the conference would be a mystery, she was unlikely to rat out her sources, but it sent a spark of unease through my spine as her eyes finally settled on me. 'To dismiss the past, as you so callously asked of us at the beginning of this forum, would be to ignore that the pack you wish to welcome is the very same that has been charged with kidnapping, false imprisonment, and attempted murder of two minors. Can Miss Clarke explain her reasons for supporting these new policies when she has witnessed firsthand what they are capable of?'

Kaden braced himself on the podium, and his brow pinched as he stared at Hana. For a second, I thought he would shut the whole event down as his fingers tightened against the stand. A muscle in his jaw jumped as he turned to set his flinty eyes on me. I offered him a small smile as I touched his arm, and his gaze softened.