Chapter Twenty-Four

Start from the beginning

"I'm fine."

"Okay. See you soon."

Detouring home, I change into my old uniform, spending a little longer than I planned to make myself look nice, just for Zander's sake. Not that he cares how I look or what I wear, but I want to feel nice today.

I reach the pub a few minutes later. The jukebox is singing loudly when I walk inside, and a few of the regulars are out dancing between the tables, looking a little too merry for this time of the afternoon.

Cassie grins when she sees me, and everyone turns to smile. This place, these people, it's beginning to feel like home. Cassie wraps her arms around me in a tight embrace. Stepping back, she beams down at me, looking flushed.

"I'm so happy you're back," she says.

"Me too."

"It's half-price pints," Cassie explains, when I eye the couple who have started line dancing.

"That makes sense," I grin.

The back door squeaks, and I glance over to where Zander is entering. His handsome smile stretches over his face as his eyes latch onto mine. He makes his way over to me, and pulls me to him, planting a kiss on my temple. I blush, feeling the eyes of everyone on us, although to Zander, it doesn't seem like he even realises anyone else is here.

His eyes travel over me. "Much better."

Doing a twirl, I place a hand on my hip. "You think?"

"Absolutely." He nods, taking his lower lip between his teeth, and my eyes watch the movement, meanwhile I straighten my back remembering how good those lips have felt across my skin. "Also, I'm taking you out for dinner tonight."

"You are?" I ask, dragging my eyes away from his mouth.

"Yeah. Be ready," he winks, lightly smacking my butt as he walks past.

Feeling a little giddy, I mentally shake myself and get to work.

More and more people arrive due to the discounted pints, and soon, the lunch rush has kicked in, even though our busiest time for lunch is usually an hour or two ago. I move around the tables as the sound of clinking cutlery, sizzling pans from the kitchen, and the volume of conversation on the rise fills my ears.

When a group of younger guys enter all wearing football jerseys, I realise that there must be a game on tonight that everyone is planning to watch. Cassie passes by me with glasses stacked from her hand, all the way to the top of her head.

When I notice the fridge behind the bar is getting bare, I head out the back. Poking my head in the kitchen, I notice that the chefs are rushing around. The heat like a wave as I enter, and the loose bits of hair stick to the back of my neck.

Every surface is covered with plates, bowls, and bundles of ingredients. I've never seen the kitchen look so chaotic. Everyone seems to be handling it well though. They have all been here for years, so they smoothly work with each other.

"Everyone okay in here?" I ask. "Can I help with anything?"

"All good, darlin'," one of the chefs with a beard so long, I fear if he bends in the slightest it'll disappear into the bowl of soup in front of him.

Giving him a thumbs up, I disappear back through the door. I slip inside the cool room and feel the cool air wash over my skin. My shoulders sag for a moment. It's so nice in here compared to outside. After letting myself bathe in the coolness for a few seconds, I pull out the cart to fill up with the stock that needs to be taken out the front.

The cart is almost full when I hear the door open. Glancing over my shoulder, Zander walks inside, raking his hand through his unruly, dark hair. My eyes track over the bulge in his bicep as he does. Lowering the glass down, I straighten, and back up as he strides toward me. Taking my face between his hands, he dives toward my mouth.