Chapter 9

Yeran was barely quick enough to stop the next blow, catching the blade with his own, the assiliant recovering quickly.

The door crashed open, two guards came running in, probably alerted by the sound. One of them carried a torch, giving enough light for Yeran to catch a glimpse of his would be assassin. 

The bed sheets were crumpled, still warm to the touch as Yeran felt earlier, but empty.

Yeran pushed off the blade stuck into his, letting one of the guards distract the assassin and slipped off the bed while the assassin made a quick work out of the guard, knocking him off with a heavy blow to the back of the head.

More guards came pouring in, the thuds and slashes of a fight being unmistakable in silent night.

The attacker moved as if the wind, passing from guard to guard, leaving a crumpled body behind. Yeran joined the fray, knocking him back a few paces with a heavy blow which did nothing in detouring the enemy.

The attacker snarled, dodging the next blow, only to almost lose his head from Ruth's sword, who had appeared just as silently behind him.

Ruth must have been a light sleeper, Yeran could only assume with the appearance of his guard with a messy bed head and creased night wear.

Yeran shared a glance with Ruth, nodding. They joined forces, fending off the attacks and giving good as they get. The damned assassin was flexible and fast, but two high trained martial officers proved to be too strong for even him, soon found himself backing into a corner.

Ruth knocked the dagger out of his hand while Yeran parried off a sword, which also skidded along the floor with a metallic clash.

He turned in defense at Yeran, catching the blade in between two fingers, giving a kick that caught Yeran at stomach. He almost slipped, winded with the air being pushed out of chest, which also gave more than enough distraction for Ruth to sneak in with a blow to the back of his neck.

Ruth caught assassin before he hit the floor, and Yeran caughed, bending to pick a fallen torch, thankfully still blazing.

"Your highness?!" Ruth hushed out in surprise.

"I know," Yeran slipped a bar against the door handles, effectively closing it off from the sound of clanging armour, quickly approaching.

"Get in there, go, quick! And, whatever I say, just go along with it." Yeran ordered, pointing at the bathing room.

"But, your highness!" Ruth protested.

"We don't have time! Go!" Yeran barked.

Ruth picked the fallen body and quickly followed his order.

The guards had already started banging the doors, the bar not holding for long.

Yeran dashed to the balcony window, throwing them open and appeared to be peering down, hands against the railing as soon as the door crashed inward for the second time of the day.

"Your highness!" It was the head of the home guard, General Damian.

"I'm fine, the assassin fled, raise the alarms and find him! I want that man alive!" Yeran was quick to give both an assurance and an order.

"You, go raise the alarms, you, give the orders to arrange more guards for the king and queen, and you!Get a the physician!" General Damian barked at soldiers, following Yeran's command. The guards well trained in formation leaving with no hesitation.

"Your highness you are bleeding." Damian called to his notice.

Yeran glanced down, having almost forgotten the wound, now burning when it won his attention.