6.

goodbye yellow brick road- elton john
our last summer- abba

"mike!" max shouted when she saw him walking out of lucas's house, probably grabbing his bag. "what the hell was that? why did you humiliate him?"

mike rolled his eyes, ignoring max and continuing walking.

"hey! mike! i'm his friend, i deserve to know!" she shouted.

"i'm his friend, too, max. i deserve to be spoken to!" he shouted back, turning to face the ginger-haired girl.

"oh, come on, mike, it was one time. you can't seriously be saying you've never ignored him before! you've literally ghosted him for fun!"

mike was silent, before exhaling and looking max in the eye. "i don't know."

"you don't know?" she scoffed. "so it's okay if you ignore him for days on end but if he ignores you one time, it's the end of the world?"

there was a silence before max spoke again.

"i'd say go and talk to him but he probably won't want to after how you treated him a few minutes ago."

"i don't blame him. i was an asshole back there."

"so you admit it?"

mike sighed. "sure."

"well, go and say sorry! don't just stand here and feel sorry for yourself!"

"i'm not saying anything now. i'm just gonna go home and get some rest."

"mike, it's not even half three yet!" max yelled, but mike was off. she sighed and walked into her boyfriends house.

***

*with the losers*

"will! are you okay? who was that?" bev asked, running in front of will so that she could look him in the eye.

"you okay?" stan asked, panting.

"are you o-okay, will?" bill asked with a scared expression on his face.

will couldn't breathe. he felt like he had been betrayed, almost. why would mike say that? will knew that he had been partly to blame, but still, was what mike said really necessary? if only i hadn't ignored him, maybe none of this would've happened. maybe he wouldn't be mad at me...

"will?" richie asked, rather loudly.

"yeah? yeah, i'm fine." the boy responded, his breathing still shaky and uneven.

"no you're not." richie said back.

"i'm fine, honestly." will said.

"no. he's about to have a panic attack." richie said, turning to face the rest of the losers.

"what do we do?" ben asked, genuinely not knowing what to do.

"i don't know! get him water?"

"okay, how's water gonna help, shithead?" stan said.

"i'm just thinking!" richie clapped back.

the group continued bickering, not noticing will's breathing getting worse by the second. after about a minute, will was about to pass out, when bev finally noticed.

"will!" she shouted, running over to make sure the boy didn't fall. "quick! uh, go into the petrol station and get him some water! now, go!" she shouted at the other losers. they agreed and rushed into the petrol station, coming out a few minutes later with refreshments.

everyone had gotten water except for richie, who had insisted on getting a slush puppy. i need it because of my bpd! he said. what the hell is bpd? stan said back. big penis disorder! richie replied, snickering.

when the group came out of the petrol station, they saw will and bev sitting on the grass in front of the station, bev trying to help will breathe. his breaths came in short, shallow gasps. the tears, which hadn't stopped flowing down his face, had made his cheeks turn a cherry-shade of red. he closed his eyes and laid down, the grass tickling his back lightly.

he thought of the previous summer, which he had spent mostly with mike. he had laid on the grass in that exact position last summer, only instead of the losers club beside him, it was mike. and this time, he wasn't sad. he was the happiest he'd ever been.

the rest of the party would beg for will and mike to hang out with them but most of the time, they made excuses and hung out one-on-one. the day where he was laying on the grass- having a picnic with mike- was probably the best day of his life. you see, whilst he and mike were alone, mike had confessed something to will. will couldn't go a single day without thinking about it...

"hey, will?"

"yeah?"

"i- i have to tell you something."

"what?"

"uhh, um, don't worry, it's not important."

"seriously? c'mon, mike, you can tell me anything! you know that!"

"yeah, i know."

"so tell me! what are you waiting for, the sky to turn grey?"

mike laughed.

"i just thought of something to say but it's not important, that's all!"

"mike."

"will."

"tell mee!"

mike sighed. "fine."

will got comfortable before mike continued.

"will, i know it's weird but i like you, like, love you. and it's probably really strange knowing your best friend likes you but... it's the truth. do you wanna be my boyfriend?"

will almost squealed.

"i do but do we have to tell the party? i mean, aren't you dating el?"

"no one needs to find out. especially not el." he smiled reassuringly.

***

will snapped back to the present, only now aware that he was crying even more. "aww, will." beverly said, pulling him up and giving him a hug. will sobbed into her shoulders. it's funny: he had only been to this place twice and was thinking of the same person on both occasions.

mike wheeler.

always mike wheeler.

"hey, it's okay, alright? you've got us, yeah? do you wanna go do something to take your mind off of things?" bev asked, trying to hide the concern in her eyes but failing.

"it's fine." will said between sobs. "we can just go back to the quarry, maybe? splash around for a bit more?"

everyone smiled and agreed, grabbing their water (or in richie's case, slush puppy) and heading back to the quarry.

several minutes passed and bill decided to check on will. "you okay? you were c-c-crying earlier."

"i'm alright now, thanks bill." will smiled, turning to face the boy.

the only problem was that he wasn't alright.

and unbeknownst to will, things would only get worse.

bro was being depressed 💀

also at some point will and mike broke up but it was fine it wasn't a toxic breakup

1060 words