Chapter 8

Reverend Tracy Cruz frowned as Reverend Steven Bacon held out a tablet containing his draft of her upcoming speech.

"This will be your first public appearance since your husband's death," Bacon said somberly. "So it will be a critical event. You need to reassure your followers about your health and determination after being out of view for so long."

"I know, Steven. Thank you."

As she tried to take the tablet from him, he didn't let go. "And you're going to be defying the Aeons by leading a protest outside one of their recruitment temples. You'll be resetting the tone of this whole movement."

"I understand the importance, Reverend," she said, working hard to remain polite.

"General Widelane and I agree that it is imperative that this speech be very firm. And it must make a very clear statement. Two very important statements, in fact." He finally let go of the tablet.

"I have already agreed to make one of your statements, Steven," Cruz said. "We will change the name of the National Unity Church to the Natural Unity Church. But I'll have you know I accept this change not because I want to suggest I'm opposed to national unity, but to emphasize I want natural humans all over the world, regardless of their race or nation, to unite against the Aeons."

Bacon's face darkened. "And what of our second request?"

"Recent events have forced me to reconsider that declaration."

"Please explain your reasoning, Reverend," Bacon said through clenched teeth.

"Right after Ricky's death I was ready to sign it. I thought it was God's will."

"It is."

She spoke across him. "And the Federal government seemed to little more than a façade providing cover to the Aeons. Establishing a new government dedicated to breaking the Aeons' grip on the country's economy seemed necessary for the nation's continued existence."

She turned away and placed her hands over her abdomen defensively. "But then I heard of the assault on the Aeon stronghold called Sanctuary. Dozens dead on either side, including two Aeons. Now I have renewed hope that the Federal government has found the courage to oppose the Aeons. Any enemy of the Aeons is my friend."

She heard Bacon stepping up behind her. "The Lord will not continue to favor us if we disobey His will."

She turned back towards him and took a step forward. "How is it that you think you know what God wants? If He's given you a clear sign, please show it to me. A few months ago you were calling me a prophet, yet I have no idea what He wants of us." Or if He cares, she thought to herself.

Bacon fell back a step but didn't look away. "But Reverend, every day you wait allows the Federals to consolidate their position."

"You're wrong. It is we who grow stronger every day, as defectors from all over the country join us."

"Rosa Verde's intelligence team has started gathering intelligence indicating the Federals are about to launch an attack. General Widelane believes we need to strike now or lose the initiative."

"You would have me start a war against other natural humans while the Aeons watch from the sidelines? That would just be weakening us unnecessarily."

"You speak of military tactics and political strategy as if these mortal conceits matter. It is only through faith in the all-powerful Lord that we can prevail."

"If the Lord is omnipotent, then why does it matter-"

Her words were interrupted by an urgent buzzing. It was the call she'd been expecting. "Reverend Bacon, I need the room."