Prologue

And so begins the next chapter of the disaster that is the life of Saiki Kusuo.

He felt an odd moment of serenity as he slowly descended down to the lawn of PK academy, the grass blowing lightly in the breeze. He mused that he must look like a helicopter or a superhero, the latter eliciting a grimace befitting the world's crankiest high school student. An image of his idiot father grinning smugly while telling his son to fix his attitude forced its way into his mind.

The rush of adrenaline upon discovering the clichéd return of his powers immediately followed by averting another world ending impact afforded him a moment of introspection without intrusion of others' thoughts. He was still distracted by his heavy breathing, however. It was unlikely anyone had seen him due to the minor distraction of certain death; of course, since he was there it would never come to pass.

He resigned himself to the fact that his psychic powers were here to stay. He stood pensive on the grass, as it would be his last moment before he stepped back into the world as psychic. He regretted leaving behind the chance at a normal life, but just like everything else it didn't end up the way he wanted it to. Why did he feel so betrayed by this development? Had he not already resigned himself to living out the rest of his days with psychic powers before the power eliminator?

I guess this is what it's like to be normal. Hoping the future will work out in your favor despite being powerless to change it is quite an unsettling experience.

A rueful chuckle escaped him. It's not as if he was able to change his future even as an all-powerful psychic anyway. Despite his best efforts to keep trouble away from himself, it always seemed to follow him around like an annoying "pal".

He had felt fear of the unknown before when he had actively tried to stifle his powers but ultimately decided that the lack of control was too much to bear. So what is that he wanted? Did he want to be in control or not?

Selfish.

The vexatious thought crossed his mind and was crushed the instant it started to damage the image he had so carefully constructed. He concluded that thinking too hard about his current situation was an exercise in futility. He had a sinking feeling that it would get a lot worse before it got better, but as the world's most powerful psychic he was sure he could manage.

He sighed and felt his shoulders relax, the blood flow back into his fingers, and his fists unclench. At least one thing had changed, though. He had allowed himself, if only a little, to enjoy the challenge of overcoming the randomness that normal people woke up to face every day. One particular problem he had yet to solve is the mystery of normal relationships. His thoughts turned back to the nuisances that had somehow changed his perspective. A devilish grin snuck into the corners of his lips.

Perhaps I can be defeated after all. Not.

His breathing slowed. Without a moment's delay he started to hear thoughts that were not his own flood back into his mind.

"Man, the government should have known about this far ahead of time and warned us or called the USA to hit it with a nuclear weapon! I mean, orbital mechanics aren't that hard."

This is a gag series, stop trying to sound smart.

"I guess I'll need to hold off on the rioting..."

You had less than 15 seconds to live; what could you have possibly done in that time?

"Nyaa, I can't believe I was about to lose a life! I only had 4 left!"

You would have gotten a game over if it was a video game, Amp.

The thoughts were quieter than normal with the exception of the last, but were steadily increasing in volume. Not much time left. His thoughts drifted to the nuisances' last words before their impending deaths.

Teruhashi had issued him yet another challenge, which he was glad to accept.

Truly, god does love her. However, I am not amused by the fact that I was the instrument of that plan.

Unsurprisingly Akechi had peed himself.

Relish it, because it is likely the only time it will ever be plot appropriate for you to do that. Try debating the meteorite away next time!

Aiura was unable to tell fortunes as the meteor was coming.

Perhaps I do have more power to change fate than I thought!

Toritsuka prayed to him to fix the situation along with his usual single minded thoughts.

A degenerate until the very end. You're lucky I am a generous god.

Yumehara only thought of confessing to her crush.

Stop being as one-dimensional as Toritsuka!

Mera's mind went to how much she could sell the meteor for.

Your life is more valuable than that!

Saiko was trying to take his friends into his bunker while being forcibly extricated by his staff to said bunker.

So the truth finally comes out, tsundere. It was a nice thought but ultimately fruitless.

Hairo tried to calm everyone down, reminding them of the fire drill.

That fire drill was anything but calm thanks to you!

Kaidou and Kuboyasu surprisingly had the most normal reactions, though it could be argued Kuboyasu underreacted.

Good job you two. 8/10.

Nendou as per usual was completely carefree about the prospect of losing his life.

Getting worked up about his reactions is more futile than trying to change the future.

With his thoughts collected, he pondered his next move. How would he get back inside? It should be a trivial matter given the chaos in the halls. He supposed he could just walk up like normal, as he was in the hall out of sight from anyone he knew. It was unlikely anyone would question where he was.

He finally sighed, set his feet and said,

Yare Yare, what a pain. In case you didn't know, I am Kusuo Saiki. And I am a psychic.