bonus (maisie's version)

Start from the beginning

He snorted. "Oh really?"

He leaned closer to her, his breath fanning across her cheeks. Her breath hitched.

His voice lowered to just above a whisper. "That's the only reason?"

"Were you expecting a different one?" Her voice was equally quiet.

For a long moment, they stared at each other, a strange and unfamiliar emotion crossing both of their faces. Maisie's heart was pounding against her chest.

And then, in a voice so quiet she had to strain her ears to hear it, he breathed, "Maybe."

Heat flared through every single inch of her body. She stared at him for a second longer before standing and grabbing his arm. She pulled him to his feet and started to drag him outside. They left the cafe and Maisie pulled Adrian along a forgotten path until they were behind the cafe in an area no one ever went to.

She stopped and turned around to face him. Lifting her hands, she placed them on his chest and pushed him until his back hit the wall of the building behind them.

She stared up at him, leaning forward until their noses brushed.

Her hands grasped the collar of his shirt.

"Maisie..." Adrian whispered, his gaze dropping to her mouth.

"Kiss me," she whispered back. "Kiss me so I can get over you."

His eyes snapped back up to meet hers. His hands, which were hanging by his sides, went to her waist, fingers digging into her skin.

His forehead touched hers.

"No," he said.

She frowned. "No?"

"No." The corners of his lips tugged up. "I don't want you to get over me. I won't be able to get over you."

Her eyes widened. For a second, she was frozen. She couldn't move, she couldn't say anything. Their heartbeats and breaths were the only sounds she could hear.

And then, before she even knew what she was doing, she pulled him down using his collar and crashed her lips against his.

He didn't hesitate. One of his hands grabbed the back of her neck, his thumb rubbing her skin so softly she couldn't help but let out a content sigh against his lips. She felt him smile, his teeth grazing her bottom lip before biting down which was quickly followed by the swipe of his tongue.

The arm around her waist pulled her even closer to him as she pushed herself against him. His fingers gently intertwined with her hair, his fingers massaging her scalp as they opened their mouths under each other.

His tongue brushed hers softly, teasing her. She groaned in frustration before he smiled and kissed her deeper, running his hands along her spine. She let out a moan into his mouth as she tugged at his hair.

She wanted that moment to last forever.

She wanted Adrian to last forever.

Eventually, they pulled away for air. Her breaths came rapidly, matching his. They stared at each other for a long moment, their heads against one another.

Her fingers played with the hair on the back of his head.

"I love you," she whispered, their heads so close that her lips brushed against his when she spoke the words.

She heard the hitch in his breath, saw the swallow in his throat.

His eyes glazed over with something Maisie couldn't decipher. Her heart beat louder in anticipation of his reaction.