seven. when the party's over

I GET HOME just in time for dinner. As I walk into the house, I see Conrad, Steven, and Jeremiah laughing and walking into the kitchen. Conrad sees me first and stops. The others stop as well once they see that Conrad isn't moving anymore.

"Hey," Conrad waves with a smile. "Where have you been all day?"

I shrug and take off my shoes, purposely not looking anywhere near Jeremiah's direction because I'm tired of his glares. I start to walk towards the kitchen with the boys following me.

"Where did you get that flower?" Steven asks curiously with his brow raised.

"Uh..." I trail off because I don't want to say anything in front of Jeremiah.

My happiness makes him feel nauseous, and I feel nauseous when he isn't happy. Thankfully, I'm saved from responding with Susannah calls us into the dining room.

Taylor sees me and immediately rushes into my arms. I smile into her shoulder and ask her how she's been even though we haven't been gone that long. We chat for a bit before everyone sits down and gets ready to eat.

I finally meet Cam, who I think is one of the sweetest people ever. He compliments the jeans I'm wearing which I painted flowers and different designs over. In my books, Cam is the perfect guy for Belly. Although, I do think she still likes Conrad. He is her first love and all.

Belly and Cam laugh together as we begin to eat, and I catch Jeremiah looking at them with a jealous glint in his eye. I kind of feel bad.

"Cam, have you ever had miyeok-guk before?" Mom asks Cam, holding a plate of the dish in her hands. "It's a Korean birthday tradition."

"No. Looks so good. Thank you." He's super polite when he says it, and this guy doesn't seem at all like Belly's type.

"Belly told me you're vegetarian, so I didn't put any meat in it."

"Thank you, Laurel," Cam nods appreciatively.

"Why don't you eat meat, Cam Cameron?" Jeremiah raises his eyebrows at him.

I know what he's trying to do, and I honestly kind of want to see how Cam reacts to the subtle insults that are sure to come his way.

"The meat industry is, like, the number one contributor to global warming." Jeremiah hums as if he's listening intently to his every word. "And I just, I like animals."

"Just don't come for my leather jacket," Taylor jokes.

"I'm pretty sure you mean pleather," Steven remarks.

Taylor flips him off, and I laugh. I feel so at home right now. Being surrounded by my friends and my family. I know that I'm going to look back on this moment and remember the smiling faces of all the people that I love.

"You know, actually, Belly eats meat," Jeremiah continues. "So, you let her kiss you with those lips?"

Unable to help myself, I let out a snort while everyone else laughs. Jeremiah looks over at me while I'm still smiling. My heart stops for a second because his mouth is tilted into a half-grin. Directed at me.

"Guys," Belly groans. "Stop."

"No, I don't judge people for eating meat. It's just, like, a personal choice. I don't care."

Jeremiah's gaze snaps back to Cam, but my pulse is still racing.

"So you don't mind if, like, her lips touch a dead animal, and then those dead animal lips touch your lips, right? Ow." He continues mocking Cam, so Belly hits him underneath the table.

"I don't mind at all," Cam states. "In fact..."

He leans forward to peck Belly's lips. Immediately, I take in Jeremiah's hurt expression but then I look at Taylor and make a pouting face and she does it back. Jeremiah and Steven both pretend to gag at the sight, and I roll my eyes.