nine. some people never do

MY MIND IS still reeling from everything going on with Jeremiah as he actively tries to avoid me while we're all in the kitchen.

Steven comes in with Susannah after she's done painting him for the day and compliments how he looks in a dress shirt.

"Which makes me think if Belly doesn't hurry up and ask Cam to that ball, you should take her," Susannah tells Steven in a joking but totally serious way.

I snort and both of them are quick to respond.

"Ew, no way."

"No, no, no, yeah, yeah. I'm already going with Shayla."

Mom enters the room. "To the debutante ball?"

"Yes," Steven nods giddily. I smile at how happy he looks when he talks about Shayla.

"As an escort?"

"Wrap your head around it, Mom, alright? Shayla's coming today with Nicole and Gigi, so you'll meet her."

"That's wonderful," Susannah cuts in and then turns to me and Belly. "Oh, and don't forget, Ms. Covington's first dance rehearsal is tomorrow, so tick-tock."

"I'm asking Cam today," Belly replies.

I stay quiet and I feel everyone's eyes on me.

"Dani?" Susannah speaks up. I look up from my cereal. "Have you asked anyone yet?"

Letting out a silent sigh, I shake my head. "Not yet."

"Do you know who you're going to ask?"

I feel Jeremiah's eyes burning into me when the question is asked, and I force myself not to look up.

"Yeah, I think I know someone."

Susannah grins and Mom raises a brow. "Do I know this mystery person?"

I shrug. "No. I met him at your book signing. He's really nice, so I'll probably just ask him."

"Oh," Susannah pipes up. "How about you invite him later so we can meet him?"

"Sure," I agree, nodding.

Jeremiah clears his throat while the topic quickly changes to Dad's arrival later with his new girlfriend. I turn my head and see him looking at me with a blank face. He doesn't move for a few seconds and then suddenly turns his head in Belly's direction.

"Wait, Dad and Victoria are staying here? In the room next to mine?"

Mom smiles sarcastically while Belly groans. Jeremiah stifles a chuckle. He grins at Belly, but it falls when Susannah reveals that Mr. Fisher won't be coming. His expression quickly changes, and I know that he was looking forward to his dad coming. All he's ever wanted is to make Mr. Fisher proud of him the way he is of Conrad. It makes my heart hurt every time Jeremiah thinks he isn't good enough.

I guess we both know what it's like to be the second choice.

✧ ✦ ✧

"SHE'S HOT," JEREMIAH blurts out while we crowd around the door to catch a peek of Victoria.

"Dude."

"What? I'm just saying what everyone else is thinking."

"I wasn't thinking that."

"Yo, that could be their future stepmom."

I shove Conrad and roll my eyes. Steven pushes him and they start play fighting before we see that they're all coming in. Steven shoos Conrad and Jeremiah away, and the three of us stand near the door. Mom and Susannah come in first with Mom whispering to be nice.