─── XIAO ; a birthday with you ♡

Start from the beginning

You smiled. "That's good to hear. I'm glad you're here with me."

The relationship between you and Xiao was certainly... complicated. Well, not really, but his duty as a yaksha did complicate things. You see, the two of you could be considered "lovers," but Xiao was almost never at home for very long ("home" being the small but comfortable room at Wangshu Inn Verr Goldet had allowed you to permanently reside in), given his duties fighting off monsters, so the two of you were never really seen doing "lover things" in public. Most of the affection you shared together was in private, and even then it was reserved to gentle kisses and the rare but endearing cuddle session. Xiao had never been... in love before, so he had struggled in learning the ways of love, but he always tried his best to show his affection for you, in his own way.

Although Xiao would never admit it, deep inside he had a strong desire to hold you and keep you safe, and wanted to show you just how much he cared. So even if he wasn't able to stay the night with you very often, he would always make sure to stop by your room when he had a quick break in his duties. He'd kiss you very softly on the forehead, and when you woke up in the morning, you'd always find a plate of Almond Tofu and a small present- usually a bouquet of Qingxin Flowers or a origami butterfly- sitting on the nightstand, as well as a note from him written in his small, neat handwriting. You always appreciated the little gifts he left for you, but in your heart you couldn't help but wish that he could stay together with you longer.

So whenever he was able to spend the night at home with you- like now- it never failed to make you happy.

"By the way... happy birthday, Xiao!" You kissed him once suddenly, to which he blushed profusely to.

"Y-you know I h-have no i-interest in those trivial mortal c-celebrations," he stammered. "B-but... I a-appreciate the g-gesture, Y/N." He took a deep breath, and then kissed you on the lips very slowly and gently, as if he was afraid of hurting you. You gladly accepted the kiss, enveloping your hands in his soft turquoise locks as his grip on your waist grew tighter.

Xiao pulled away, a tiny hint of a smile on his lips. "Come on now, get up. The morning has long arrived, and there is much to do today."

You propped yourself up on your elbows as Xiao stepped out of bed, watching him slide his sleeve of beaded white silk onto his left arm. "What are you going to do today? Is there anything I can help you with?"

Xiao paused while he was putting on his boots. "I... was thinking about visiting Moon Carver today. I believe today is the right time to finally follow the advice you gave me. I do hope he is not too alarmed by my sudden appearance at his abode, though..." He turned to look at you as you were getting out of bed. "I suppose... if you have time today, would you like to come with me?"

You grinned. "Of course! It's your birthday, so if you'd like me to be there with you, I will. I'm always happy to accompany you, Xiao." You kissed his cheek, adding, "I love you."

Xiao's cheeks flushed bright red, and he looked away. "I-I... You and me both. Now come on and get yourself cleaned up. We have to leave soon." He turned away, continuing to get dressed.

You sighed, not helping but to be a little annoyed at his lack of affection. Whenever you told him you loved him, he would always respond with something like "I feel the same" or "Your feelings are reciprocated" or a bunch of other fancy adeptus phrases, and never the words I love you. Why couldn't he just come out and say it directly? As much as you adored the yaksha, deep in your heart you wished he would just say those three words. Just once.

Padding off into the bathroom, you cleaned yourself up and came out a few minutes later to see Xiao polishing his spear. "Xiao... I don't think you'll need that today. Considering we're visiting a friend of yours, there shouldn't be any danger in the area, right?"