Chapter 24: Drunk on Success

I wake up feeling rejuvenated, as I stretch out my hands and shoulders.

That was perhaps the best sleep I had in a really long time — dreamless but satisfying. It was even better than the sleep I got in my own bed, back in Avian Oaks. I miss home, but if I continue to get satiating sleep in other realms, I might forget to miss it.

I decide to check on Sachelle, my grumpy quiet companion. I remove him from my pocket and smoothen the wrinkles on his surface.

"And to what do I owe this honour?" He rasps, apathetically.

"Just saying hi, Sachelle."

"Hello, little Jemma. Your gems are safe with me."

"I'm glad to hear that, I'll have one more for you soon."

"Excellent, I am bursting at seams with anticipation. Excitements like these make my existence worth existing."

I frown at the jewel pouch. So often, it seems like he enjoys his own sarcasm. I return him back to his usual place.

"Oh my apologies, did I say something to offend you, princess?"

I ignore his muffled retort.

I carefully stand up, trying not to damage the flower. After a glance up at the blue sky, I feel reassured, for the sky always looks familiar.

Soon, Specka flies into my line of sight, and makes a silent descent upon the flower.

"Good Morning!" She buzzes. "You slept through the entire night, you know. I came to check on you, but you looked so peaceful, I didn't dare try to wake you. Do you feel rested, now?"

I grin at Specka, "I do."

"Have some nectar and then we'll go see the Queen!" She softly screeches and lays out drops of nectar before me, which I lick clean within minutes. I feel full and replenished with energy that will last me another few realms.

I climb onto Specka's back again and we ascend into the depths of the garden. Moments later, a massive bee hive comes into our view and I suddenly realize that giant bees could sting me to death.

"Specka...will the bees be okay with me coming to see their Queen? I mean, I know they don't like humans bothering them unwarranted like this. I don't want to upset them," I babble worriedly.

"Oh no, bees are quite friendly, you know. I promise, you won't be a threat to them." She soothingly buzzes back.

I mentally prepare myself as the bee hive grows bigger in size, and we inch closer to it.

Specka finally drops me on what looks like a landing. A landing in a bee hive, which leads up to a huge hive cell, serving as the entrance into the chambers inside. It almost feels like I'm entering into a royal castle. Except that this castle is frequented by giant bees and inhabited by the royal Queen Bee.

The bees, as per Specka's promise, do not seem displeased with my presence. They seem to be standing stiffly. And instead of crawling around and being covered in honey, they are clean, black and yellow striped hairy creatures. Some of them even seem to be smiling down at me. It's actually hard to interpret what their pincers and mouths are doing, but I prefer believing that they're smiling at me.

We continue to walk deeper into the hive. The long walk stops at the foot of a throne with the Queen Bee sitting in the center of a raised hive-cell. Honey rests in neat shelves around her and I'm fascinated by the bee's hive, which is meticulous in its activity and organization.

Specka draws closer to the Bee and performs a gesture, which appears to be a hybrid between saluting and curtsying.

"Your Majesty, Jemma here, is looking for someone by the name of Bee-joo May-ven," she inquires. And then discreetly, whispers to me, "The Queen knows everyone in the garden. She's bound to know your friend."

The Queen — physically more majestic than the rest of her species — looms over us, formidably. For a few quiet moments, her terrifying black eyes examine me, as she considers the enquiry.

"I am the Bijou Maven of this garden, Oh Voyageur de Temps," she finally thunders.

Another fruitful search! I really wasn't looking forward to meeting more gigantic insects. Wasting no time, I get down to business:

"A friend in my realm, mourns the loss of his wife. Is there a gem that can ease his pain?"

The Queen immediately descends from her throne and ambles towards a honey shelf, into which she drops her stinger. When she buzzes out, a gem appears at the end of it.

She aims her stinger at me, and lets the gem drip off, which eventually falls in front of my feet.

I bend down to pick it. An ordinary stone, surprisingly pristine, regardless of its honeyed-storage. It has a creamy tone, with white lines and specks distributed across its surface.

"What you behold, is an infinite stone. I owe the stability of my Hive to this gem, for I lose colleagues every day. It heals the heart in wondrous ways."

A warm-hearted bee, how endearing! She may not speak in so many words, but seems infinitely wise when she does.

"Thank you, Your Majesty. I wish you and your Hive success," I say, sincerely.

Specka then turns to face me, and gestures for us leave. We quickly make our way out, towards the landing.

"What would you like to do next," Specka asks, enthusiastically.

"I would like to nap some more on that glorious flower, before I resume my travels!"

I feel drunk on success, and would like to sober up by sleeping in the garden of talking butterflies and smiling bees.