_ _ _

With Tesla's release from the hospital happening around the same time Ethan is supposed to be picked up from his preschool, Elsa and Nick are picking him up, and Tesla will be hailing a very expensive taxi ride back to the countryside in Virginia. Taxi cabs here are different from the ones in New York City, and that's exactly what Stephen Strange says after he arrives. He came as soon as he heard, and this shocked her quite a bit.

"You came all this way?"

"There was an explosion in a laboratory at Culver University with death tolls and an apparent chemical in the air that caused hallucinations. When I couldn't find out exactly who died, I bought a plane ticket," he says, standing by the foot of her bed. Stephen's wearing a nice button up and pants. He's got a fancy watch on his wrist. His dark hair is combed back and his face is clean-shaven. The smell of expensive cologne lingers on him. Being a neurosurgeon has been quite kind to him. Tesla knows this, because she receives expensive gifts for Ethan on his birthday and the holidays each year. He'll never admit it, but Stephen loves being Ethan's godfather. Although, every year around New Year's, he and Kimmy argue about who'll raise him if something horrible happens.

"Let's be clear, I would've sent him to the best preschool in New York if you and Bruce ended up being the casualties," Stephen comments.

A scoff rises from Tesla and she raises an eyebrow at him. "You certainly have less of a filter every time I see you. No cushioning the blow."

"I leave it for the interns," he says with a wink. Stephen reaches for the clipboard hooked on the end of her bed. It's got the details of her visit, diagnosis, and some brief medical history. He skims it, and hums, raising an eyebrow back at her. "Concussion, huh? Have they received your release papers yet?"

"It's in the works," she comments. It doesn't necessarily bother her that he's taking charge of her medical chart or her release. She expects this much of Stephen. She just doesn't want to think about how he'll react to Bruce being gone, or what'll happen if he's around when General Ross shows up.

"I'll get them moving. Have you talked with Betty?" the man wonders. Stephen watches as Tesla shakes her head. He adds, "I'll check on her, too." Stephen exits the room.

Slowly, Tesla rises from the bed, changing from the hospital pajamas into the clothes that her mother packed for her. She cleans herself up a bit, gingerly changing the bandages on her shoulder and leg. It'll take a while for those to heal, but they won't leave scars like the one on the back of her neck. There's a knock on the door to the hospital room, and Tesla clears her throat, "Come in."

"Tess?"

Hurriedly, Tesla exits the bathroom, gasping at the sight of Bruce. She flinches in pain, but ignores it the best she can. The two of them hug each other tight, then hold each other at arm's length, assessing their injuries. Bruce isn't too disheaved. He's got on clothes that don't belong to him, and he looks like he hasn't slept since the explosion. Tesla wipes at a smudge of dirt under his eye.

"I'm so sorry," she whispers, feeling a large lump form in her throat.

Bruce closes his eyes tightly. He bows his head, collects himself, then says gently, "I'd forgotten this was supposed to happen."

This is much worse than she thought it would be. Tesla swallows and sniffles, trying to keep her composure. Soon, he'll be gone again and she doesn't want to waste their last few moments together by crying. "It'll be okay. Some day," she says. There's some truth to it. "I can't imagine—"

"I know," he cuts in. "I know. I love you."

"I love you. You'll figure this out. We'll figure this out," she talks fast.

There's so much to say and so much to figure out, but there isn't enough time. Stephen will be coming back any second. The military could arrive at any moment. Bruce can't be caught. He can't be used as a weapon.

"Ethan—"

"He'll be okay."

"Promise me you'll show me it one day?" Bruce takes Tesla's face in his hands. His fingers brush against her scar and he sighs heavily. He's struggling. Nothing makes sense. All he wants is to sleep in his bed with his wife and hold his son. Tesla nods, hiding her tears by burying her face in his shoulder. They hold each other tightly again.

"I'll fix this," he adds. It's empty words. Tesla knows it can't be fixed. "You'll explain to him that I love him? And I'll see him when I can?"

"Of course I will."

"Hey," Stephen's alarmed voice drifts into the room from the open doorway. "What's going on here? She's about to be released."

Thaddeus Ross is the one to respond to Stephen. "We have reason to suspect that Dr. Edison is harboring a fugitive of the United States."

Bruce presses his lips to Tesla's forehead as she starts to visibly cry. He closes his eyes for a brief moment. "We'll figure it out."

"I can't lose you," she blubbers.

"You won't lose me. Never." Bruce kisses her lips fleetingly.

Gently, Tesla pushes Bruce away from her. With one last look, they pass words and emotions without saying a single thing. Bowing her head, Tesla feels his presence leave the room. She wipes at her tears as shouts echo down the hallway. People are demanding that Bruce be stopped. Suddenly, Stephen Strange is by Tesla's side, holding onto her arm. He wants to ask questions, but he thankfully understands that this is not the right time.

An angry General Ross stands at Tesla's doorway, and she raises her head, glaring at him. He glares back, ready to shout at her. He'll never understand what she knows, and she'll never have to follow the orders of someone with little significance to the Traveler's journey. One day, he'll be calling on her for help.