His eyes are barely open when she leans over him.

"I'm going to be free now." she says softly before standing up.

She reaches out her hand to me and I release him, his head falls back with a loud thud. I take her hand and we step over his body and towards the front door.

I'm honestly not sure if he's alive or dead at this point. I don't really care either way.

Josephine turns to me suddenly.

"Billy, will you kiss me?" Josephine whispers. I look into her hazel eyes and step closer to her.

I let my finger graze her cheek softly. Her mouth opens with a little gasp as I press my lips lightly to hers.

I pull away after just a second. She grips my face and pulls me back to her. Her lips slam into mine forcefully and her lips move erratically.

She didn't know how to kiss. Not at all. It was awkward and sloppy and the best kiss of my fucking life.

She pulls away and runs her thumb over my lip. "My hero." she whispers.

Before I can respond she runs to the backyard. I chase after her to see her hugging her tree.

She grabs the book sitting under it and makes her way back towards me. She pauses one more time at the front door.

She steps across the threshold with her bare feet and turns to smile at me.

"You said you'd never been to the beach, sweetheart?"

Her eyes fill with tears as she shakes her head.

"Never." 

We walk to my Camaro, hand in hand. I smile back at her. "The beach it is."

*******
The drive was excruciating. We were both jacked up on adrenaline for the first few hours but it faded quickly.

Josephine slept. A lot. Her head in my lap. I've never had a girl's face in my lap unless it was for a much different reason.

I stroked her hair and listened as she talked in her sleep. We're free now, Josephine. We're gonna be okay.

I pulled over to grab some burgers and Jo ate hers faster than me. I watched with wide eyes as she devoured it. She looked up at me through her blonde hair and smiled, her mouth full of her food.

I smiled back at her and she blushed. "This is the best thing I've ever eaten." she moaned delightedly, wiping her lips with the back of her hand.

It was just a burger from a random cafe. Mine tasted like shit. But she was in heaven. She was still quiet. Shy. But she talked to me on the way.

A 33 hour trip leaves a lot of room for conversation and I was happy for it. I watched as she hugged her knees to her chest, her back leaning against the window. She faced me almost the whole drive.

She didn't tell me everything but we had time. We had all the time in the world now.

******

Josephine's POV

Billy needed a break from driving so he decided we should stop and stay in a hotel. I've never been to one before.

Billy lets me shower first. I watch as the dirt and blood mixes and swirls down the drain.

I take extra good care washing every part of me. I want to look nice for him. I didn't bring anything with me, only my book. Billy had grabbed a few things from his house.