Epilogue

An assortment of toys lay on the carpet in the living room. From red rubber balls to yellow bricks and some stuffed toys, Imma mentally sorted out which one she would take along. She picked a brown teddy bear and stuffed it into her handbag just before she heard a door open.

"All changed and smelling like lavender!" A familiar voice announced enthusiastically making her smile before she even turned to catch her husband throwing their almost two-year-old daughter in the air. Her adorable toddler's thick dark hair was split in two and held with red and purple rubber bands. She was dressed in a white flowery cotton blouse and purple trousers and she indeed smelled heavenly.
The sound of the baby's and Ache's laughter was the music she needed to make her day. She had named her daughter after her twin sister Izara but to differentiate they called her Zara.

"You seem to be enjoying diaper duty a little too much," Imma complained, twisting her face but failing to hide the smile creeping unto her lips.
"Anything for my princess is enjoyable...even poop!" He said and nuzzled his face unto the baby's belly making her giggle.

"Are we ready to leave?" He asked, coming to stand close to her. Did three years of marriage still qualify as a honeymoon? Ache just needed to speak for the butterflies in her stomach to start crashing into each other. Things had not been easy after they got married but going through challenges with Ache was like taking a cruise ship. He was the perfect team player, always making sure that they fought the problem and not each other. Their biggest hurdle came right after they got married and she had to leave for the USA. Ache was so adamant about staying behind while Imma went ahead. How had she known a man for six years yet she'd never seen this patriotic side of him or whatever was making him not want to leave the country. It made her believe that she could date someone for several years and still discover new things about them everyday.

It had taken an intervention between both families for him to agree to go with her. While in the USA, he took a six months course in Architecture as she pursued her own studies. EON Group had given her the option to stay and work at their head office in Boston or return to Cameroon. She had gladly jumped at the first option before bringing it up with Ache. This time around, no amount of convincing could change his mind about staying there.

They returned. Their second year of marriage was almost a disaster. When she looks at it now, her, throwing herself into her new position as Business Developer at EON Group in Yaounde was her way of getting back at her husband for making her come back to the country.
She made sure she took assignments that took her out of the country or required her to work late. Ache on his end was working harder than ever to expand his construction store while sourcing for building contracts. It took a first miscarriage for both of them to freeze in their tracks and turn to each other.

She was in their Six bedroom apartment in Yaounde. Financially, they were more than comfortable. Her salary and extra bonuses was close to a million giving her the luxury to travel to wherever she wanted to. The house Ache built for them in Buea had been put up for rent alongside several properties he was continually purchasing.

"Hello wife! Can I share your thoughts?" Ache's voice cut into her thoughts.

"You are my thoughts," She responded with a wide smile making him reciprocate.

"I won a lottery. Do you know how many men I've fought to have you?" He laughed wrapping his free hand around her and kissing. She breathed in his cologne.

"You love me with all this weight I've gained?" She asked, looking deep into his eyes, knowing the answer but still wanting him to say it.

"You gained weight because you carried my daughter. Hmm...if that's what it takes to produce this beautiful human, please gain more." He joked.

"God forbid! Look at you wishing me fat! I will lose this weight in Jesus name!" She snapped her fingers and punched him playfully in the arm while he laughed and stepped back. Just then his phone rang. He stared at the screen and smiled.

"Speaking of men I've fought with to get you." He said showing her the screen on his phone.

"If he's calling us that means we're running late," Imma said suddenly grabbing her handbag from the chair.

"You see why I had to fight for you right?" Ache said closing the door behind her.

"Tell me again?" She said as she secured Zara into the car seat of the Black prado.

"How many times do you hear that someone becomes bestfriends with their ex and his wife and is even made them their child's godmother?" Ache asked. He was now sitting at the drivers seat.

"First of all, Eyong and I are not best friends, we are friends and Sharon and I aren't exactly friends. We are just...trying not to kill each other. I still don't understand why that girl hates my guts though," She concluded with a frown. After her wedding to Ache, Eyong started to reach out and check on her. He even visited them in the USA and won her husband over.

"By the way, remind me why we're spending the weekend with Eyong?" Ache asked.

"This weekend is about celebrating Eyong's son's 3rd birthday and most especially, supporting him as he presents Sharon to father." Imma stated with a bit of sadness. They had discussed this 3 weeks ago when Eyong called inviting them over to his house on the outskirts of Yaounde.
If that didn't mean they had come to a truce, she didn't know what to call it though Sharon was not enthusiastic about it.
She was going to turn it down because she had not had the discussion with her husband. The question was, how close was someone supposed to be with their ex?

"Oh babe! An opportunity to pass down this your amazing values to a human? Please say yes!" Ache had responded when she told him.

"You're not worried that my ex, will try to woo me?" She'd asked, expecting him to react with jealousy but he burst into laughter.

"No one is taking you from me," He said with so much boldness. Just thinking about that day made her giddy.

Now, she looked at him and asked herself what she did right to deserve him. She turned to him just as he put his hand on the steering wheel and his eyes sparkled. The butterflies in her belly were doing backflips.

***
THE END

THANKS FOR READING!

Please, please, please! Leave your comments not of this chapter but the story in General!

My goodness! How can I thank you all for reading and leaving your feedback. You voted, commented which means you've completed the story! You're the real MVP

What do you think about the epilogue?
I know it's ending but how close should Imma be with her ex Eyong? Isn't it cute that Ache has become so confident about his position in Imma's life?

I have news!
Bonus chapters are coming, detailing the life of the Eyong brothers. Swipe to see the first bonus chapter