Road trip with the bleached blonde

June 5. 1988
Mountain View, California

I was so excited to finally see my favorite band: Guns 'n' Roses.
They were opening for Iron Maiden and my friend April and I came all the way from Monterey hitch-hiking.
I had just turned 18 and thought I could rule the world, make a difference or at least go fucking crazy.
So we put on some skinny jeans, our favorite band shirts, grabbed our leather jackets and got on the road to see the hottest band in the US. They were really making waves that time. GNR were the bad boys of rock 'n' roll and their debut record "Appetite for destruction" was on its way up on the billboard charts.
And the guys were fucking hot, too. Alice was totally into their front man Axl Rose. She would have done anything to meet him in person.

We were traveling with some creepy trucker dude that dropped us off way to soon. I was relieved to get away from that strange guy but April was furious. We really were scared we would never make it in time for Guns 'n' Rose's opening. But we got lucky because April was a real bombshell back then.
Attracted by April's long legs, her perfect body and her bleached blonde hair, we managed to get us a ride with 3 other dudes that were also going to the same concert. They were more into Iron Maiden but we didn't mind.

We had a lot of fun flirting with those guys and even if they were all drooling over April, I appreciated the free beer.
Men were always into April. She was a real babe. Dead sexy with swinging hips, flipping her hair and her endless confidence. She could be a real drama queen sometimes though. I on the other hand was average. Small and skinny with long, brown hair and big eyes. I thought they're too big but April insisted that they were perfect and would make me always look totally innocent. Like a lost puppy. She said guys were totally into the innocent kind of girl. Yeah, not that I'd ever noticed that.

'Uhhhh... can you believe it, Ana? Guns 'n' fucking Roses. I can't wait to see Axl.'
April shifted in the backseat of that crappy car, which belonged to Ron and his mates Dennis and Marcus. I was praying instantly that this car would even make it to Mountain View, when a squeaking noise came out of the gearshift. Jesus, please don't let this piece of trash break down until we get there.
'Yeah.' I rolled my eyes. 'If we ever get there.'
'God, Ana. Don't be a party pooper. Everything will be fine. Relax and have fun.' April's elbow hit my ribs and she passed on the big joint they were all sharing. I just shook my head.
'You chicks are really into that trashy rock band with that girly singer?' Ron chuckled.
'Yeah.' Dennis turned in the front seat to face us. 'Maiden is fucking headliner. They're gonna be awesome. That shit the other dudes play isn't metal at all.'
April punched him on the arm and hissed 'Axl Rose is fucking perfect, loser. I would totally fuck him.' 
I couldn't help but roll my eyes at April's worship to Axl.

'Yeah sure, as if you wouldn't screw anyone else on that stage. I don't think you'd make any differences.' Ron laughed.
April gave him a bright smile. 'Probably.'
I hit her ribs and laughed. 'Slut.'

She eyed me. 'Oh come on, Ana. As if you'd say no to Izzy Stradlin.' she chuckled.
'You chicks are scary. Jesus, how are we gonna get laid tonight if every chick wants to fuck one of the band?' Ron said.
'Oh, Ronny.' April tapped him on the shoulder. 'Relax. As soon as I finish off Mr. Rose, the other girls will need a replacement.'

We arrived at the compound early and ditched the guys to look around and figure out a way to get backstage. April still wanted to screw Axl Rose. She was such a slut these days.
Sure, I had done it too, but I've had a boyfriend at college. I wouldn't go all groupie on some rock star. I couldn't understand why April was so wild about seeing Axl Rose.
That was until I saw "him" for the first time. We were looking for the parking lot of the tour busses when one of the doors opened and a guy stepped out. I immediately recognized him as Izzy Stradlin. He was the rhythm guitar player of Guns 'n' Roses.
He stepped out of the bus, putting his shades on and lighting a cigarette. Damn he was hot.
I'd seen him in some magazines and on MTV but he looked way better in person, wearing black jeans, white button down shirt a black vest and his hair all messy. I couldn't take my eyes off him.

April chuckled and I realized that she was staring at me. She was always good in reading people and she was sure as shit reading me like an open book.
'God, Ana. Wanna drop your pants right here and jump him in the parking lot?' she joked and I blushed.
'Shut up. I don't even know the guy.'
'Yeah, like that would be a problem.' She laughed. 'I'd totally jump him. He's gorgeous. Fuck! Where's Axl?' She eyed the parking lot, hoping to see her favorite singer.
'Come on. This is embarrassing. We're hanging on that fence staring at thim like monkeys or something. Let's go.' I was pulling on her arm.
'No way, Ana. He's like right over there. Maybe we have a chance to get in before this place is crowded with other girls.' God, I knew what was coming next and felt really uncomfortable.
April pulled a pack of cigarettes out of her pocket, took one out and flipped her hair.
'Hey!' She called at Izzy. 'You have a light?'
He looked up and smirked. Man, she was really good at this. I felt a little jealous as he made his way up to us, looking at April and pulling a lighter out of his pocket.
As he reached the fence he gave us a nod. 'Ladies.' Then he flipped open his zippo and reached out to April, lighting her cigarette. 'Here you go, sweetheart.' I fought down the urge to kick her knee. Damn. Why were guys just over her all the time?

'So.' April paused dramatically and exhaled the smoke of her cigarette. 'You're that guitar guy from Guns 'n' Roses?' He grinned at her. Man, did anyone notice me at all? I got pissed.
'Yeah. Name's Izzy.' He said without pulling the cigarette off his lips. God, he was so cool.
April gave him a nod. 'I'm April. This is my friend Ana.' She gave him a sweet smile. 'She's totally in to you.' Baaaam! I gave her a murderous glare before turning bright red. God, that was embarrassing.
But Izzy looked at me a couple of seconds and smiled. 'Nice to meet you, Ana.' God, did he just notice me? I gave him a small smile, still avoiding eye contact.
'Hey. Sorry. This is awkward. She's a real hand full, you know?'
He chuckled. 'Yeah, figured. She always gets what she wants?'
I laughed and nodded. 'You're surprised? Guys are normally drooling on her.'
'Hey!' She crossed her arms in front of her huge boobs, tapping her foot. 'You two remember I'm right standing here?'
'You're funny, Ana. Wanna hang? We've got some time until the show and party afterwards.'
I was dumbfounded. Was he really asking us to come backstage and hang with him? Like this was the most normal thing in the world.
That was going to be a day I'd never forget. I was sure of it.