Part I- Introduction

“Do you swear that the testimony you are about to give in this arbitration is the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth?” The judge asked me.
"I swear," I responded. Being a witness in court was the last thing I wanted to do with the next few months, but here I was. When I got called in to the police station a week ago, all the things I had ever done wrong went racing through my mind, and I wondered what I had done that would require an interrogation by them. What I wasn't expecting, though, was them accusing my best friend, Deon, of murder. 16 of them to be exact.
Why, exactly, they came to the conclusion that he was the infamous serial killer going around our state, was a little unclear at first. When the news first came out that there was a serial killer, the police said they were looking for a shorter, middle aged man with dark hair. This was the exact opposite of my 6'3, blonde best friend. He was pretty hard to miss, so the idea that they somehow got a bad description of him was surprising to me. Somehow, though, the evidence led the authorities to him. The police weren't exactly forthcoming with the evidence they had against him and didn't want to tell me many details. They, of course, only wanted me to be giving out information about what I knew. I'm no narc in the first place, but I knew Deon didn't kill anyone, let alone 16 people. That was where my pursuit to prove my best friend's innocence began.