Doc noticed that Lana avoided eye contact with him often. It was a habit of hers, always finding herself looking at his shoes, just like the night they had met under the stairs. She wouldn't be surprised if she knew them better than the man who wore and put them on every morning. Maybe she should move on to something else, perhaps another article of clothing. A small chuckle sounded from her at the thought, completely smitten with the very idea of Doc.

"Come. Sit. We can talk, as you call it," he spoke up first. Lana raised her head at the sound of his voice which broke through the shy tension that had formed. Her eyes fell on his lap for a moment and she mentally cursed herself for her less-than-pious thoughts, opting for the large chest not far from where he had sauntered moments prior. She sat down hesitantly, although she knew the chest could support her weight. The leather of the detailing on it beneath her reminded her of the first day she touched down in Tombstone, wide-eyed, lost, yet joyful, Doc helping her with the few belongings she had brought with her like he had nothing better to do.

Then the two began to talk until the sun rose.

Lana was the first to fall asleep though she had put up a good fight, her gradual grogginess proving to be entertaining to Doc as she tried to keep engaging in conversation with him. His intellect knew no bounds and she wanted to keep up with him because she knew that she could, even from her new spot on her bed. She had thought its comfort would be a blessing rather than a curse that would ultimately lull her to sleep.

Toward the end, she made him promise to keep her awake and yet, mutters of her name had become so soft, careful not to rouse her from her impending slumber. Doc was glad that she had finally fallen asleep as he was left alone with his thoughts.

***

"Three weeks!" a voice had exclaimed. Doc looked over at his friend, Wyatt quizzically from under the brim of his hat. The shadow painted on his face hid the concern in his eyes. "That bastard Spicer is gonna take three weeks to get back to town," the other man explained his sudden outburst to Doc, his finger pointed and then curled into a fist in overt frustration.

"What ever in the world is that oaf out of town for? I wonder," Doc replied candidly. Truth be told, he didn't care for the reason but rather that he was away from Tombstone in the first place while the Cowboys were starting to run more rampant than ever.

"Well, so do I. Some Justice of the Peace he is," Wyatt went on as he signaled Doc to walk with him by a nod of his head. Doc obliged, both men leaving the jail, walking side by side with an unadulterated and natural swagger. They were immediately met with eyes from the townsfolk who mumbled quietly about their involvement in last night's events. Wyatt couldn't help but roll his eyes. Doc on the other hand gave a single wink to two women that passed them by, their eyes lingering as they whispered to each other in hushed speculation. Flushed at the sentiment, they began to walk faster and out of sight, scoffing under their breath at the audacity of a man so careless.

"Regular celebrities now. You and I, my friend," Doc told Wyatt who shook his head, a chuckle on his lips as the Arizona heat engulfed everyone without mercy. As frustrated as he was, Wyatt chose to relish in the light his friend was making of the idle gossip about them. He began to second-guess if he should have walked out of the saloon that night at all but what had ensued the night before had already been done and set in stone with no room for regrets.

"Yeah. Suppose so. I'm just hoping," Wyatt began but trailed off when he saw her shift into frame. Josephine was on the sheriff's arm again just some yards away. Her hazel eyes caught him and she gave him a small but genuine and reassuring smile that seemed to make everything feel normal for just an infinite moment. It reminded him of a day they rode together. The conversations they had played back through his head. What a woman she was and what a fool he felt for the way she made him feel.

"And hope you may," Doc chimed as he saw the subtle interaction between the man and woman. Wyatt was so obviously enamored with Miss Marcus that it pained him just the way Lana pained Doc. Their circumstances were different but both were hooked like fiends.

Wyatt sighed and averted his gaze almost shamefully.

"What I was saying was that I hope Judge Spicer does well to lock that man up when he arrives back in town. Enough trouble that Bill's kind has been for all of us," he explained himself as they headed towards the Oriental.

"Oh, of course," Doc said. "A just trial is all that be on your mind."

"Indeed, Doc. Indeed," Wyatt assured him with confidence after silently composing himself. It was just before they had gotten to the saloon's entrance that Wyatt brought up an instance from earlier on in the day that he had forgotten to ask about.

"Where were you this morning? I stopped by your room. Quite frankly, I wonder if you ever got back to it after-" Wyatt began but Doc smoothly and rapidly cut him off.

"After what?" he asked, stopping in his tracks slowly.

"Chasing that broken-hearted girl after she saw Kate all over you. I know you didn't ask for such attention but you didn't exactly condemn it, my friend," Wyatt told Doc truthfully. He merely nodded his head in response, not wanting to acknowledge the actual nature of his shame. He knew Wyatt was right and was more than willing to admit to that but another matter worried him.

"I am working on my complicity. You have my word. But I should hope that you aren't alluding to carnal transgressions with Miss Pearson on my part during the night, Wyatt," Doc said in a bit of a firm tone. He valued Lana's reputation and wanted there to be no mistake about the utmost respect he had for it.

"Well. If you're saying nothing happened, I am inclined to believe you. But you don't deny that you stood the night with her?" Wyatt replied then questioned Doc in a simple manner. After all, Doc was always a man of his word.

"I do not deny that," he answered, starting to walk into the familiar establishment with Wyatt who began to grin, patting Doc on the back.

"Good. You see, Doc? People can change. Falling in love and all," Wyatt teased the man beside him as they walked up to the mahogany bar. His words echoed a night of the past. It was then late afternoon, and people began to walk through the saloon doors in groups, just as he and Wyatt had done moments prior. Sheriff Behan and Josephine came in looking like the closest thing to royalty in Tombstone. The woman's gown must have cost a month's wages. Doc grinned as he nodded towards the handsome couple that included Wyatt's fancy. Wyatt peered at the scene, his skin starting to crawl but he managed to keep his composure intact. What was he to do about his pitiful feelings amidst the ever-growing chaos?

"Oh, yes. People can change. Falling in love and all," Doc chaffed with the other man before he ordered himself a drink he would cherish. Meanwhile, Lana got ready for her evening with the Earp women, fresh off her shift at the camp. She wondered what pins she would put in her hair, or what brooch she should wear, so unaware of what was to come.

She thought of Doc, and he simultaneously thought of her too.

A/N: I hate this but I hope you all enjoy it! My semester is coming to an end so more updates should be coming! Thanks for all of your love and support as always. I literally love you guys (': !