Chapter 30- City of Walls and Secrets

Start from the beginning

The monorail departing, behind us on the other side of the track, there is a woman with long dark hair that billows in the wind. She approaches us with a strange smile on her face.

"Hello, my name is Joo Dee!" She cheerfully says. "I have been given the great honor of showing the Avatar around Ba Sing Se. And you must be Sokka,
Katara, Venus and Toph! Welcome to our wonderful city. Shall we get started?"

"Yes." Sokka exclaims. "We have information about the Fire Nation army that we need to deliver to the Earth King, immediately."

"Great!" Jo Dee robotically spoke. "Let's begin our tour. And then I'll show you to your new home here. I think you'll like it!"

"Ugh!" Sokka groans, lightly annoyed, he walks up to Joo Dee. "Maybe you missed what I said. We need to talk to the King about the War, it's important."

"You're in Ba Sing Se now. Everyone is safe here."

Everyone on the team had a confused look on their faces regarding Joo Dee's strange statement.

✼  ҉  ҉  ҉  ҉ ✼

We were now taking our tour in a carriage pulled by an ostrich horse through the streets. Refugees lined the streets and there were many shops.

"This is the Lower Ring." Jo Dee says.

"What's that wall for?" Katara curiously asked.

"Oh, Ba Sing Se has many walls! There are the ones outside protecting us, and the ones inside, that help maintain order." Outside the carriage we cross some refugees. "This is where our newest arrivals live, as well as our craftsman and artisans, people that work with their hands. It's so quaint and lively!"

Two men are conversing in an alley. One of them is holding a large sword that glistens in the light. Both glare at the carriage as it passes. Katara becomes unnerved, her face blanking out, while Momo, who was looking out of the window by hanging from the ceiling, quickly retreats completely into the carriage.

In nervousness Jo Dee says, "You do want to watch your step though."

Katara has a nervous look on her face. "Why do they have all these poor people blocked off in one part of the city?"

Aang is upset and somewhat bored. "This is why I never came here before. I always heard it was so different from the way the monks taught us to live."

We continue our tour all the way up to more nicer homes and community. "This is the Middle Ring of Ba Sing Se, home to the financial district, shops and restaurants, and the university."

Aang and Sokka look out of the windows, bored. "Yeah, we met a professor from the Ba Sing Se University. He took us to an ancient underground library where we discovered information about the war that is," Sokka leans toward Joo Dee, losing his patience, "absolutely crucial for the Earth King to hear!"

Jo Dee smiles; excitedly. "Isn't history fascinating? Look, here's one of the oldest buildings in the Middle Ring, Town Hall!"

The carriage stops and Joo Dee exits. Sokka stares at her, annoyed. "Is that woman deaf? She only seems to hear every other word I say."

"It's called being handled. Get used to it." Toph crosses her arms as everyone else glares sadly at Sokka.

We continue our tour. "The Upper Ring is home to our most important citizens. Your house is not too far from here!"

The carriage passes by another wall with a tall gate. Behind it, the roof of an enormous building can be seen.

"What's inside that wall?" Katara asks.