Set Your Heart Ablaze

Comenzar desde el principio

I quickly ran out of my room to get downstairs, bumping into some of the other women-apologizing along the way.

Finally, I made it to the first floor of the house. The first floor had barred windows where women sat in front of all day. This is where all of the house's prostitutes would stay during the day and night to attract potential customers.

I ran to the prison cell-like bars ahead of me and gently pushed through the girls in my way.

Sticking a hand in between the bars, I began to wave it for attention.

"Hello!" I shouted. It did catch the attention of the pair. They just didn't know which direction my voice was coming from.

The young slayers continued to look puzzled at their surroundings.

"No, over here!" I yelled. "Behind you!"

Finally, the two boys turned to me. They looked at one another. I could see that they were whispering about something. One shrugged his shoulders, while the other turned his attention back to myself.

One boy pointed his own index finger to his chest.

"Are you talking to us?" He asked.

"Y-yes, you two! Can you please come closer?" I shouted, waving my hand-inviting them to approach.

Again, the two looked at each other and whispered a commotion.

"Uh... I'm sorry, Ma'am. We aren't interested." The same one responded. They turned their backs to me and began to walk away.

Quickly, I stopped them from leaving. "No! I'm not calling for you to give the house business, please, I just have a question for you both!"

The boys scratched their heads with confusion but made their way towards me.

Once we were all face-to-face, the same boy spoke out first.

"Sorry for our odd behavior, ma'am. What was your question?" He asked.

I inhaled a deep breath before saying what was on my mind.

They must be demon slayers, right? The only other person I've ever seen wearing that same uniform is...

"Your attire, you're both demon slayers, correct?" I asked.

Both boys appeared a little taken aback by my question/observation.

One boy's expression was stern, and the other's was a tad flustered. He had such a nervous smile that appeared a little forced.

"T-that's right, we are." The flustered one stuttered.

"Can we be of any assistance?" The stern one asked.

These boys are with the demon slayer corps, Gyūtarō was telling me about? But they look so young. So... Goofy?

"Please," I murmured. "If one of you could tell me if you know a man by the name of Kyōjurō Rengoku."

Both boys' eyes widened at the question. They then shared an uneasy look with each other.

The talkative one, of course, answered first.

"Y-yes, Ma'am. Well, n-not personally, buuut. Yes, Mr. Rengoku was the flame hashira. What of him?" The boy was clearly feeling distraught. I didn't think much of it.

"Flame hashira?" I asked.

The shy boy answered this time. "Yes. A hashira is the highest rank one can earn in the demon slayer corps, ma'am."

I couldn't help but smirk just a bit at the boy's goofy tone.

"Oh. Thank you, Sir. My knowledge of the corps is incredibly limited. Forgive me." I bowed.