Soulmates? What A Stupid Idea! (Epel x GN! Reader)

A/n:  You will be in the place of Yuu for this oneshot))

Epel had never believed in the concept of soulmates.  Afterall, Harveston barely had any children his age and all the other kids at his school never really caught his eye.  Thus, he was stuck in a world of grey eternally.  He thought that maybe he was just colour-blind, that, maybe he was just told that lie about soulmates because he planned to stay in Harveston.  Since Harveston was a small city, he wouldn't meet anyone else and so it was a foolproof lie after all.  However, that all changed when he got accepted into Night Raven College. 

He was just taking a walk, still frustrated about Vil getting on his case because he accidentally used the wrong brush for his eye shadow when he bumped into Deuce.  However, something was different about Deuce, although, Epel was sure Deuce looked the same as he did the last time the two hung out.  His companion, Ace also seemed different.  Actually, the whole setting seemed to change for Epel.  He was even more confused now as the shape of his environment seemed the same.  Epel rubbed his eyes and looked around again, however, when his eyes locked with an unfamiliar person's, he suddenly understood.  So, the concept of soulmates wasn't just a lie.

Shocked, Epel quickly apologized and ran away.  He made it back to his dorm and slammed the door shut.  Soon enough, he could hear angry footsteps and a loud knocking on his door, "Epel?  What did I say about slamming doors?!"  Vil asked. Epel sighed and opened the door, expecting another lecture.  However, Vil had other plans, "You look like you've seen a ghost."  He pointed out.  Epel sighed,

". . . I think I met my soulmate today when I was on a walk."  Vil had never looked more proud before,

"Really?  Do tell what happened. . ."  Epel took a deep breath,

"Well. . . On my walk, I bumped into Ace and Deuce. . . They were with someone new and when I locked eyes with that new person, everything changed. . ."  

"So, your soulmate is the Ramshackle Prefect?  Epel, follow me."  With that, Vil lead the way to his room and took out some colour flash cards, "I expect these memorized by tomorrow.  These are basic primary colours, so, it should be a simple task."

Time went by and Epel managed to learn the names of many colours.  However, he was trying to avoid Ramshackle in general.  He was shocked that soulmates exist, but, he was also terrified.  What would happen if he messed up badly and his soulmate didn't like him?  Unfortunately for him, a slight misfortune befell on him during his spell-drive game.  

Night Raven College's Spell-drive club was playing a practice match against Royal Sword Academy.  It was the first game that Epel was allowed to play in and he was doing well.  He even managed to score a couple of points for his own team.  During the last half of the game, he was zipping around on his broom but something seemed off. . .  He had over-expended his magic in the first half and now had to sit out.  For the rest of the game, Epel was sulking.  Afterall, he wanted to stay on the field until the end and was now scared that he couldn't play in any more games.  He stayed after the game, when his magic was replenished enough to practice even more.  He'd just have to work harder so people forgot about his mishap during this match.  

While practicing floating the disk, he felt a tap on his shoulder.  He whirled around and was surprised to see Y/N standing behind him, holding a bottle of water.  "I figured you might be thirsty, so, I got you some water."  Epel gratefully accepted it and was unaware of how thirsty he was until he actually took a sip of water.  He managed to drink half the bottle before stopping,

"Thanks. . . How'd you even know I was out here?"  He asked.  Internally face-palming when he realized that windows existed and people could see him from those said windows.  Y/N smiled,

"I watched your spell-drive game!  I was curious because you stayed behind and then I saw you getting some extra practice in."  They explained.  Epel stopped drinking and practically stood there, frozen in shock,

"You. . . Saw the game?"  He immediately started to panic.  His soulmate would surely hate him now for being such a fool.

Y/N smiled, "You were impressive out there!  It also looked like you were one of the only first-years playing, so, well done!"  Epel sheepishly rubbed the back of his neck, unable to respond.  All he could do was just simply nod in thanks.  Luckily, Rook came over and dragged him away to touch up his make up.  Oblivious, Y/N waved a good-bye and watched as Epel got dragged away, ". . . I may not have much time left, but. . . I want to get to know you."  They muttered.

Epel was getting dragged by Rook, who started asking many questions.  "Well, the Ramshackle prefect is. . . My soulmate. . ."  Epel answered.  Those words felt artificial to him, however, he didn't exactly hate them.  After getting Vil to touch up his make up because he kept on spacing out, he flopped down on his bed, "Perhaps the idea of a soulmate isn't so bad after all. . ."

Y/N got their wish as the two began to get closer through shared classes.  Them and Epel hung out practically every other hour, telling stories and cracking jokes.  They would get in trouble with Vil and laugh it off like nothing happened.  Sometimes, the two would sneak out of their dorms to see each other.  Of course, Y/N was always cheering the loudest during Spell-drive games.  In return, Epel would help with fixing up Ramshackle as best as he could.  It was a perfect "Friendship."

The friends did eventually fall for each other and the friendship turned romantic.  It seemed like a perfect fairytale; a boy who was trying to become strong and his encouraging partner.  They were even the talk of the school for a while.  People whispered enviously as the pair passed by, holding hands and Epel carrying all the textbooks as a form of training.  So. . .  Why must things abruptly come to an end?

Epel was now trapped in a world of grey once more, internally cursing himself  for once believing in the concept of soulmates.  On one hand, he kicked himself for not trying to look for Y/N sooner.  Maybe then, he could have spent more time with them.  On the other side of the spectrum, if he hadn't let his guard down and pushed them away, he wouldn't have to deal with the pain.  Everyday, he spaced out, just imagining scenarios that would lead to the two staying together.  However, eventually he had to accept the fact that fate tore the two apart and Epel was meant to live in a world of grey.  Vil grew worried and knocked on his door, 

"Epel, have you eaten?"  He asked.  No response.  He knocked once more, "Epel?  Did something happen?  Does it have anything to do with Y/N's death?"  Once more, there was no response.  Sighing, Vil opened the door to find Epel trying not to sob into a pillow while looking at old photos of him and Y/N, "Did you at least enjoy the idea of soulmates a bit more after understanding what it's like to have one?"  Vil asked, trying to start up a conversation and distract Epel.

"What?  Soulmates?  They're just a fairytale. . ."  Epel said with a shrug.  Vil sighed once more and exited the room.  Epel punched his pillow over and over again.  They were gone and Epel still had plans for the two in the future, why must fate be so cruel to the pair?  But, alas, that was not the destiny assigned to the pair as Epel continued to live his life in a colourless world and Y/N would forever remain buried underground.