Chapter 49 - Mine

Start from the beginning

Kabir's words pulled at his brow. "Wow. Perfect. And thank you. What would I do without you and your bright ideas, Chhotu?"

"Aur nahi toh kya!" Kabir finally turned away from the bed. "I am not the DDLJ Shahrukh Khan who will waste time wooing the father instead of the girl! What rubbish was that anyway? Uthha ke le jaaneka, bas."

Arnav tilted his head back and laughed. "Please don't dare utter these words in front of Khush. You know she will have your hide for this."

"Of course, I won't say that to her. I want to live! But the sad truth is Amrish Puri was the heroine of the film. Shahrukh spent his entire energy wooing him, not Kajol." He winked at Arnav and picked up his guitar. "But here, in real life, my brother is the true hero. Whenever he manages to put his book down, I am sure he does think about his heroine. Hain na, Bhai?"

"Abey! Teri toh main—" Arnav was about to get off the bed when the phone rang. He grabbed the cordless lying next to him instantly.

"Arnav?"

"Khush." Intense relief ripped through him and showed on his face. "Are you okay?"

"Mujhe kya hoga?"

He smiled, shaking his head as he watched Kabir leave the room, closing the door after him. "How about saying – I am okay – for this poor man sitting at the end of the line who has been a bit worried since yesterday night, not being able to speak to you, see you-"

"I am sorry." Her voice came out weak and strained, tugging at his heartstrings. "I am alright. Just a bit restless, that's all. And how is my man at the other end of the line doing?"

"He is okay now." He smiled. "Nap time?"

"Yes. I think I have ten minutes. Fingers crossed. Anything more is a bonus. I wanted to come over but will refrain. I don't want to invite unnecessary trouble. Is that okay?"

"I wouldn't want you to, sweetheart." Arnav felt the muscle around his heart tighten, hearing the turmoil in her voice. "Although I wouldn't have minded, just a minute or two, maybe? Want to hold you close to me right now."

Despite her mood, a smile tilted the corner of her lips. "Me too."

"How bad is it?"

"Maun vrat. But Aai has filled me in about what has happened."

"Anything to worry about?"

"I don't think so."

"Good. Did you try to speak to him?"

"A few times. But he gets weird when he is in a bad mood. You know how it is."

He released a sigh and leaned back against the wall of his bed. "Hmm."

"I am sorry, Arnav. Baba is messing it all up."

"No. We messed it up, Khush. We should have been more careful and should be apologising for putting him through this. And I should be whacked for my carelessness—"

"I wanted to hold you too, Arnav." A short silence followed when neither of them spoke. "Well, I guess nothing else can be done now besides apologising. And I — I guess Baba wants to talk about—"

"Marriage. Engagement?"

"I guess. I know he will force you to consider—" She hesitated "— consider it when you might not be — I am worried he might push you to—"

"Push?" His reaction was instant. "You think he will have to push me to—" He drew in a deep breath. "Every time we look at each other now, we are demanding from the other that we go to any lengths necessary to be together, Khush. There is a promise to hold your hand for life every time I take your hand in mine. So why should it seem like pushing or cornering or forcing hand?"