Chapter Thirteen 𐮛 Hope Quietus

Começar do início

"Be honest with yourself. You're not a teenager," She choked on her milk as Quelaag spoke. She could almost hear the sarcastic roll of her eyes in her voice alone. Nice of you to join us... [Y/n] grumbled internally, before clearing her throat as Gimli eyed her curiously. They continued to eat, with her enjoying her potentially last meal, and Gimli talking to her about whatever came to mind to fill the silence. She appreciated his effort to make talk, but she had a feeling he was only doing this because he's got an underlying anxiety. In attempts to calm him, she would smile kindly in his direction, and it worked a bit. His speech slowly became calmer by the time she finished her food.

"Well, I better get going. When are we set to leave?" She looked at him casually.

"Aragorn will decide soon," he says, and she nods.

"See you soon, then." She bowed her head but, smiled kindly at him while getting up (albeit clumsily). "Thank you for joining me for breakfast," she patted his shoulder and he snorted in response.

"My pleasure, girly," he spoke with a mouth full of bread, and resumed his hearty meal soon as she left, taking his time to fill himself up. The sight almost reminded her of the Hobbits, and her heart grew sad when she thought of them. She could only pray that Frodo and Sam were ok, but she had a creeping feeling that they were currently suffering more than she ever had at this moment.

Before she set off to the armoury, she made sure to dress more appropriately and even took the time to wash her wound of any more dried blood and crusty yellow stuff, before she could set off. Her wound was doing marginally better thanks to her magic, but her fingers were still numb and hard to control. She'd have to keep it bandaged for now, and maybe by the time the battle comes, it'll be more mobile. As she peered at her reflection, she quickly adjusted her appearance before skipping to her feet and beginning to walk in whatever direction some of the nurses had pointed her to for the armoury.

One could practically feel the tension of the city in the air, waiting for the final battle to be fought and for their fates to be sealed. As she walked down the pristine white halls, turning the corners she was directed to, she imagined the people must be on their knees praying for their salvation. If this world were to go into turmoil, I'd only hope that I'd die beside my friends rather than become a slave to that tyrant, Sauron. She thought, clenching her jaw tightly. Despite her hatred for the man, she couldn't help but grow sombre at the thought of her friends being enslaved by his cause, if they were to lose this war. She sighed, finally catching sight of the door to the armoury. Before she could go inside, she prepared herself by taking in a deep breath, knowing she was gonna get strange looks from the men there.

Turning the knob, she strides in with a stoic demeanour, ignoring the men's gazes and focusing on finding a certain head of blonde hair. Her eyes caught something else, though, something she felt melt her tense body and let herself gleam.

"Gandalf!" She chimed, limping over to him and wrapping her good arm around his chest, her heart beating quickly with happiness.

"My child!" He cried, immediately wrapping his arms around her to bring her in for a tight hug. They swayed in each other's arms for many moments before breaking away with teary eyes. She gazed up at him in wonder, and her face ached from her bright smile. "I knew you'd be alright," he chuckled heartily, ruffling her hair. She giggled and shook her head, stepping away from him.

"You can't be rid of me that easily!" She laughed but cleared her throat when she saw Aragorn watching them from behind Gandalf. She bowed her head to him deeply, showing her gratitude and respect for him as much as she could. "It's thanks to you I am alive," she smiles, looking at him earnestly.

"I am glad to see you well," he smiled back, his eyes gleaming with joy.

As they conversed, she tried to casually bring up Legolas and found out he was last seen near the training grounds. She bid farewell to the two, setting off to find some armour of her size. Luckily, most of the armoury had emptied by now, so she took her time to comfortably sift through the supplies, but unfortunately, the smallest of anything she could find was still far too large, even the helmets, which pushed down on her ears uncomfortably. Sighing, she sat down, kicking a gauntlet that she had dropped earlier. Her arm began to ache a little out of nowhere, so she attempted to heal it, but, at this point, her spells were doing nothing. Maybe, it's not such a good idea to fight. She thought meekly, resorting to massaging her shoulder gently.