Alex

Calm down.

They don't know you, or what you have been through. Calm. I am calm.

"Alex," says a familiar voice. "Alex show them what you are made of. Kick their asses." Zoey. My one true best friend. You would think she would react better in this situation. Nope.

"Alex," says another familiar voice. "Remember what I said, stay calm. Breathe." Zachary. Zoey's twin brother. My secret crush. He was the only guy whoever tried to ever talk to me, and the only guy I have ever liked.

Deep breaths Alex, you got this. Don't let some stupid bullies make you loose your shit. Save that for the apocalypse.

"Hah! Little miss HotHead over hear needs her boyfriend to tell her what to do!" Says the bully of Redwood High. Joey Carold. His family is the richest in all of our small town in Oregon, so he automatically thinks he owns the place. Ever since my family moved here he has harassed me about everything imaginable. Of course I don't take it to heart at all. Its just one persons opinion in a matter that does not involve them. 

"Joey go find a gutter to clean." spits Zoey. She smacks her gum, turns on her heel grabs me by the arm and starts to walk away.

"Alex! Why do let people push you around and stuff? Stand up for yourself, and fight back if need be but don't just stand there without talking!" She continues with her rant as Zachary comes over to us. We were standing by the downstairs girls bathroom.

Zachary. In all his perfectness he flips his shaggy black hair out of his face, and puts his hands in the pockets of his skinny jeans. Zachary looks good in any outfit. And his sparkly green eyes were easy to match with any color.

"Alex!" Zoey snaps. "Are you listening to me? This is important business we are talking about here!"

I put my hands on my hips and roll my eyes. "Zoey, calm down, I had it under control." Zoey looked at me and rolled her eyes. "Yah because closing your eyes and standing still is 'under control' you could of totally done something on your own."

She had a point. I was just standing there. But I was capable of keeping everything in control. Totally.

Buzz.

I reach into my sweatshirt pocket and grab my phone. A text from my younger brother Cody.

Mom says 'Get home now, we need to talk' get over here dweeb

"Guys," I say, "I have to go, Mom and Mr StepDad need me at home. Apparently we need to talk."

Zoey nods her head. "Okay, make sure to say hi to Cody for me?" she winks and her and Zachary leave. Now it was just me, leaned up against the hallway wall.

~ At Home ~

"Mom, Carl I'm home!" I shout, walking through the front door. But all I hear is the shooting and suspenseful music from Call Of Duty in the living room. Cody was obsessed with C.O.D, so obsessed once he was suspended for talking about guns in class.

"Upstairs dweeb." Cody calls over his shoulder. But as soon as he does, straight back into the game.

"Thanks nerd." I shout back. I walk into the dining room and put down my back pack and keys. My key chain was really kiddish, but I love it. It's hot pink with unicorn designs all over. I walk into the kitchen grab a cheese stick, and go upstairs.

When I reach the top of the stairs I hear arguing, something about 'bad influence' and 'better education'. When I reach the door of my room, I knock and the talking stops.

"Come in sweetie." My mom calls. I turn the handle and push open the door. My mom was sitting on the edge of my bed and Carl was standing by my desk.

"What is it? What do we need to talk about?" I ask. I look between the two, my mom look concerned and Carl, well he looked the same, strict and self absorbed.

"Your 'friend' Zoey. Yah, get rid of her." Carl says. His face straight with no sign of emotion.

"Carl!" My mom yells. "What he is trying to say is, well, we think she is a bad influence on you, and, we want to to be safe that's all." She says. Her voice filled with the loving tone all moms should have.

"No. She is my best friend I can't just get rid of her!" I start, "Yah sure, she gets in trouble sometimes but she is a good person! You can't just make me forget about her and leave her behind!" I start getting louder with every word.

"Alex, what we say is final. No arguing." Carl persists. Tears swelling up in my eyes I look at mom.

"Mom?" I say. My voice creaks and a tear falls off my face.

She nods.

I can't belive them. How? How could they do such a thing. My best friend and they expect my to just throw her in the trash? No.