Chapter 29- The Drill

Start from the beginning

✼  ҉  ҉  ҉  ҉ ✼

Aang, Katara, Sokka, Toph and I are crouched together in one of the abandoned trenches of the Terra Team.

Toph gestures toward the drill. "Once I whip up some cover, you're not going to be able to see. So, stay close to me."

She steps outside the trench and with a powerful stomp of her foot, sending a mass of flying debris clouding toward the drill.

"Run!" We race into the dust cloud behind Toph. We were now standing in the midst of the dust beside the drill.

Toph earthbends a hole into the ground. "Everyone into the hole!"

We all jump into the hole and the ground above us closes shut. It was pitch black as we walked underground, Toph leading the way.

"It's so dark down here," Sokka comments. "I can't see a thing!"

"Oh no, what a nightmare!" Toph sarcastically said.

"Sorry." He sheepishly apologized.

We make our way to the surface underneath the drill, where Sokka spots an opening. "There!"

I leap up to the bar hanging from the opening and dangling upside-down from my legs, hoisting Aang, Sokka and Katara into the drill.

I await for Toph.

Sokka sticks his head out of the drill, realizing Toph is not following everyone else. "Toph, come on!"

"Yeah," I add. "So much of my blood circulations is flowing through my head right now."

"No way am I going in that metal monster." She replies. "I can't bend in there. I'll try to slow it down out here."

"Okay, good luck!" Sokka and I disappear into the drill.

Inside the drill, Sokka is leading us through a tunnel of valves and pipes. "I need a plan of this machine. Some schematics that show what the inside looks like. Then we can find its weak points."

"Where are we going to get something like that?" Sokka unexpectedly cuts off a steam valve with his machete. "What are you doing?" Aang panics. "Someone's going to hear us!"

A mischievous smirk plasters over Sokka's face. "That's the point. I figure a machine this big needs engineers to run it. And when something breaks..."

"They come to fix it." Katara and Aang smile at each other.

I place my hand over Sokka's shoulder. "I don't know how you come up with this stuff, but the way your brain works is beautiful."

Sokka places his hand over my shoulder as well. "V. You're going to make me shed a tear."

Suddenly, we heard footsteps approaching us. We all hid. Moments later, an engineer wearing a mask is walking down the misty hallway to the site of the damage.

Katara appears behind him. "Hi." She freezes the mist, covering the engineer in a thin layer of ice.

Sokka runs up to the frozen engineer and takes his schematics. "This'll work. Thanks!"