"The Trix!" She says, gasping for air, "They've done something to the Red Fountains gift!" She points at the chest being slowly brought into the middle of the hall. "Something about a swamp rat?"

"The fuck is a swamp rat?" I ask.

"Let me consult my database," Tecna says, "it's a type of large rat that lives in a swamp and feeds off of fear." She shows us a picture and I wrinkle up my nose.

"So their gift is going to be gross swamp rats instead of beautiful butterflies?" Musa folds her arms across her chest, "I'm not a fan of that."

"Let's all hold hands and try to reverse the Witches' spell, we have to hurry they're announcing the gift!" Stella says, taking my hand. We all stand around in a circle, holding each other's hands like we're in a cult, reciting the phrase "What it once was let it be again," I Peak open my eyes and see that the pattern on the eggs has changed, meaning we reversed the spell. A fairy opens her egg and a kaleidoscope of golden butterflies flurry out, everyone gasps and takes one of their own.

"That was easy enough," I say, "Bloom, do you have your dress yet?"

"Mhm, I just can't find any damn scissors for it."

"Why didn't you say so?" I ask, creating her pair and handing them to her, "Now hurry, Musa is about to perform her first song." I practically push her to the door. I don't want her missing his first Alfean ball, it's almost like an initiation process here. The rest of us go back in as if nothing happened. The girls take their eggs and cautiously open them, I give mine to Lukas and Liam, they can fight over who opens it.

The ball continues with no one none the wiser about the egg scenario. I spend the night with my friends and brothers, floating between groups once I've had enough from either side.  It wasn't until I noticed Bloom outside, still not dressed, fighting off the Trix by herself. I roll my eyes and excuse myself before running outside and transforming.

"You don't know how to stay out of trouble!" I say, helping her get on her feet.

"Sorry," she says, "they were trying to steal Stella's ring!" She protests, I notice how Icy is holding a small shell-shaped golden box, it looks expensive enough to be Stella's, and I know that her ring is one of her most powerful tools.

"Shit," I say under my breath. I lunge for Icy, tackling her to the ground, trying to snatch the box back. She freezes one of my hands to the ground and kicks me off her. My hand creates a hatchet, breaking it free. I throw it at the witch but it's stopped by Darcy. I hear Bloom shriek and I watch as Stormy creates a crack in the earth, causing Bloom to fall through. As I'm distracted, Icy freezes my feet on the ground, I try breaking free, to no use. I make an ice pick, frantically trying to break myself free to help Bloom. The Witches kick her hand off the side of the chasm.
"No!" I shout, my legs finally releasing. I fly down the gap, only to witness Bloom finally transforming.

"I'm fine," she says, fluttering her new wings, she tries firing some magic towards the Witches, but they have already retreated, teleporting away back to cloud tower.

"I'll go and tell Stella about her ring," I say, annoyed at myself for letting the Trix get away, "congratulations on finding your fairy form," I smile, "now transform back and get dressed! I wouldn't want you to miss the dance." I pat Bloom on the back before we fly off in our separate ways.

I casually walk back into the ball, taking Stella to the side. I told her about what happened to her ring, apologising profusely and promising to get it back. "What are you talking about?" She asked, flashing her ring at me, "I knew the Trix wanted my ring, so Flora and I replaced it with a little surprise." She giggled to herself. I didn't get the joke but I was relieved I hadn't failed her. We walked back to the group where Bloom was finally ready, I flashed her a quick thumbs up, letting her know it was all alright before Faragonda had an announcement.

"As it is Alfea tradition, each fairy must find a Red Fountain dance partner, as the final song plays." She stepped down from the microphone as people hurriedly scampered to a dancing partner. Originally I had planned to dance with one of my brothers, but it seemed all three of them had one already. I looked around, Timmy and Tecna, Stella and Prince Sky, Bloom and Brandon, Flora and my brother, Liam, Lukas and Musa, which I found odd, and of course, Xavier had no trouble finding a willing dance partner. I leant against the wall, hands crossed against my chest as I watched fairies and Specialists begin to dance together. I was disappointed I didn't have a dance partner, but not upset. It wasn't my priority. Then, from across the room, I saw someone else alone, Riven. My jaw clenched as we made eye contact. Holding it for just long enough that he made his way to me, weaving in between the dancers, never breaking his gaze.

"We have to dance," He said, holding out his hand. I look at it, then back at him with a furrowed brow. "I'm not too happy about it either, Princess, but it's tradition." He rolled his eyes, then looked at me intently.

"Fine," I say with gritted teeth. I take his hand as he slides his other around my waist, holding my lower back and pulling me into his chest. I place my other hand on his shoulder and look up at him. I've only just now noticed how tall he was compared to me. I let him lead, I didn't notice anyone else in the room. We just held our eyes, I felt his grip on my waist grow tighter as he pushed me further into him. We moved with grace, gliding across the floor like we had practised this dance together for months. His hand felt almost natural in mine and his arm around my waist never felt uncomfortable. If he wasn't such an arrogant bastard maybe I could've enjoyed it, but I didn't, I wouldn't allow myself to find any form of pleasure or comfort in him. My back stayed ridged and I refused to let myself relax into his arms. The music ended and Riven dropped my hand, I took mine off his shoulder.

"That could've been nice," He shrugged I shot him a dirty look, but the bitch continued speaking, "If you weren't so stiff." He paused in my seething eye contact before smirking then he turned around and left. The last thing leaving me was his hand around my waist. Although I wanted to shove my fist in his face so he could never smirk again, I decided against making a scene. I quietly festered in my anger until I cooled down enough to go back to my friends.

I found Stella and the others, they were pining over the guys they just danced with. I stayed silent, I found Riven infuriating and there was no way even the smallest part of me liked him. "Y/n, you're staying awfully quiet." Stella nudged my shoulder, "I saw you and Riven dancing very, very, close."

"Don't even suggest it-" I snap at her. The thought made my skin crawl.

"Why so defensive?" Musa prods, "trying to hide something?" I give her a look.

"No!" They all smile at me but I don't return it, "I was uncomfortable the whole time, okay?" They all seem to drop it and go on talking about they all loved being in their partner's arms. I stayed silent most of the night, chipping in when necessary. I know they didn't mean to offend me. But even the suggestion that I could like an arrogant bastard like Riven made my fists curl.  

I didn't want to think about him when I went to bed that night. I tried pushing Riven out of my mind, but he fought his way back every time. I went to sleep picturing his face and woke up with him still on my mind.