chapter five

common things

I wait for him to say something after a long, pregnant pause, but, just as I expect something to leave his mouth, he closes it again while clearing his throat for the fourth time. "How well do you know your family?" He mutters after a while.

I'm taken aback at his sudden question. I tilt my head in confusion while keeping both my hands around the hot cup. "What?"

Gyeok-chan squints his eyes in annoyance before moving his face closer to mine and repeating his question. "How well do you know your family, Na-eun?"

I furrow my brows as I answer his question. "Well enough."

"Are you sure?"

"What are you talking about, Gyeok-chan? I know them well enough; they're family." I tell him after wetting my lips.

He moves even closer, if that's possible. Our faces just inches away. "This bracelet is only made in North Korea, Na-eun. So, whoever has one of those, they're most likely born or related to someone from North Korea." Gyeok-chan glances at my lips for a quick second before looking back into my eyes. "So, I'll ask again, how well do you know your family?"

I gulp at this new information.

Is he telling the truth? Is there a possibility my family is North Korean? Am I North Korean?

The revelation hangs in the air, creating an unsettling tension between us. I feel a mix of emotions—shock, confusion, and a sense of urgency to unravel the truth about my family. Gyeok-chan's gaze pierces through me, waiting for a response that I'm not entirely prepared to give.

The café's atmosphere seems to close in on us, the background noise fading into a distant hum. I take a moment to collect my thoughts, trying to process the implications of his words. If what he says is true, it opens a door to a part of my family history that I never considered.

As I struggle to find the right words, Gyeok-chan's eyes hold mine, searching for a glimpse of recognition or realization. The weight of his revelation lingers, inviting me to confront a reality that may reshape my understanding of who I am and where I come from.

My head starts spinning with different questions all running through my mind all at once. I look back at the boy in front of me to see a small smirk on his face. I furrow my brows before reality hits me in the face. "That means... you're from the North?"

Gyeok-chan intertwines his hands as he takes a deep breath. "It's time for you to get back to your dorm; you're going to be late." He gets up and puts his jacket back on before looking at me with an impatient expression. "Get up, Na-eun."

"Tell me more about that bracelet."

"Get up."

His urgency sends a clear message that he's unwilling to share more details at the moment. I comply and stand up, a whirlwind of thoughts clouding my mind.

We stare at each other for a solid minute, both daring each other to look away, but both just as stubborn as the other.

Gyeok-chan slams his hands on the table before bending down until he's at my height. "I told you everything I know, now get up."

I can hear my heart in my chest as I do what he says. His whole demeanor changed when I brought it up, making me more suspicious of him. I think back to what the old man told me about getting to know the real Gyeok-chan. Does that mean he knows too? "You don't get to do that, tell me such a thing and then cut me off."

"I just did. Let's go." He grabs my wrist and pulls me out of the café. It all happens so quickly that I don't even remember him paying for our coffees. "Get in."

I do as he says and sit down in the passenger seat. He, too, climbs into his car and starts it without another word.

It takes us five minutes to get back to the dorm. The silence would have killed me if it was any longer.

I open the door before stepping out, but before I can do that, his strong arm grabs my wrist once again. I look back at him to see his eyes burning holes into mine. "You tell anyone about our small interaction, and I'll make your life a living hell."

My eyes widen at his threat. The weight of the situation hits me, and I nod slowly in acknowledgment. Without another word, he releases my wrist, and I quickly make my way into the dormitory, my mind still spinning with questions and uncertainties.

What did I stumble upon, and why does it feel like I've opened a door to a world of secrets?

-

The days after my encounter with Gyeok-chan have been filled with tension and secrecy. I couldn't bring myself to tell my friends about what happened, fearing the consequences of unraveling the mysterious threads that seemed to connect me to North Korea.

However, the burden was too heavy to carry alone, so I confided in Yeong-ro, laying out every detail of that fateful meeting. Her initial shock was palpable, but she managed to keep her composure as she absorbed the information I shared.

In the subsequent days, Yeong-ro has become my unwavering support, ensuring that I'm always okay and close by. She's become my guardian, refusing to let me out of her sight for even a moment.

Adding another layer to our already complicated situation, Yeong-ro's 'ideal man' has sought refuge in our dorm, nursing an injured shoulder.

Life has a funny way of throwing unexpected twists at you. In the blink of an eye, I went from being threatened by someone I harbored feelings for to taking care of an injured stranger.

This mysterious boy, Lim Soo-ho, has been quietly recovering in our dorm for a day now, and I still don't know much about him. The air is thick with secrets and unspoken questions, but today, a different excitement pulses through the dorm.

It's our first 'Open House,' a unique event that has the potential to bring both joy and nervousness. It's our version of a prom, where we get to bring a guy to our dorm and celebrate into the night. The prospect of the event is both thrilling and anxiety-inducing.

However, overshadowing the festive atmosphere is our shared mission: getting Soo-ho out of the dorm safely. With Yeong-ro posing as his date, our plan is to discreetly maneuver Soo-ho past the ANSP team surrounding our dorm. The risks are high, but ensuring Soo-ho's safety takes precedence over everything else.

As I navigate through the lively crowd, I spot Yeong-ro in her distinctive pink dress. I quicken my pace, calling out to her amidst the laughter and exuberance. "Yeong-ro!"

She turns around with a hint of worry on her face, only to relax upon seeing me. "Na-eun, I thought you were someone else."

"Sorry about that." I offer her a reassuring smile and then turn my attention to Soo-ho standing beside her. "You cleaned up nicely. How's your shoulder?" I inquire, genuinely concerned.

"Thank you," he responds, casting a glance at his shoulder and giving it a tentative movement. "It's better. Thanks for wrapping it up."

"No problem," I reply with a smile. "By the way, Jeong-min told me to let you know that the bike is ready."

"Great," Yeong-ro sighs in relief. The plan is set in motion.

hello hello!!! i'm back
how are you guys?
i'm so excited to continue this story!
let me know what you guys think so far