chapter two

horses and boys

- shopping market in seoul -

For nearly two hours, I've wandered through the city streets, my quest for a specific item eluding me at every turn.

Allow me to clarify.

A bracelet, a sentimental keepsake left to me by my mother a day before she was killed. Back then, I deemed it unnecessary, but when I lost my parents, it became the anchor that kept me grounded.

However, a sinister twist unfolded. It was stolen. More precisely, it was taken from me.

The incident occurred during an outing with Yeong-ro, when a group of boys cornered us, robbing us of our belongings. My stomach churned with sickness upon discovering that the thieves had not spared the bracelet. Ever since, I've been on a relentless quest to reclaim it.

Unveiling a disturbing revelation, I learned that the culprits who stole it were selling their ill-gotten gains to others, inflating the prices and raking in thousands of dollars for a single accessory.

And so, I find myself navigating from one shop to the next, driven by the desperate determination to retrieve the precious bracelet that holds the memories of a mother lost and a connection severed.

Let's return to the story...

The minutes are ticking away, and the urgency of the impending roll call weighs heavily on the air. The streets echo with the sounds of hurried footsteps, as girls race against time to reach their destination.

Contrary to the frantic scene outside, I find myself in a jewelry store, a peculiar calm settling over me. My instincts have whispered that today holds a stroke of luck, and this store, in particular, is where fate will unfold. Despite the dwindling time, I trust the inner guidance leading me here, even as the roll call looms just ten minutes away.

A sudden, loud knock on the store window shatters my focus, and I turn to see Yeong-ro outside, panting and pointing anxiously at the clock. I check the time, shake my head, and motion for her to go ahead. She leaves, not entirely convinced.

"I'm going to be so late," I mutter, my eyes scanning the shelves adorned with necklaces and bracelets.

Just when doubt begins to creep in, my gaze fixates on a silver bracelet nestled at the back of the shelf, like a gleaming promise waiting to be discovered.

The moment my fingers touch the special bracelet I had been seeking, anticipation fills the air. With a careful examination, however, my heart sinks. Disappointment washes over me as I realize it's not my bracelet; the familiar little scratches on the inside are absent. This gleaming accessory is not the one that holds the precious memories I've been yearning to reclaim.

Regrettably, I place the bracelet back on the shelf and turn away, leaving the store empty-handed. The quest for my mother's keepsake continues, a bittersweet reminder that sometimes, even in the search for something lost, the journey itself holds unexpected twists.

As I step out of the store, my eyes catch a taxi parked not far from me. Hope surges within me as I hurry towards the car, my gaze focused on the parked vehicle.

A gentle knock on the window catches the attention of the driver inside, revealing a pair of brown eyes that widen as they meet mine. I find myself momentarily captivated by the handsome stranger behind the wheel.

The window slides down, and his eyes remain fixed on me, creating a nervous flutter within me. "Could you—" I clear my throat, trying to regain composure. "Could you give me a ride?"

His gaze continues to hold mine, making me uneasy, so I glance down. "Where to?"

Our eyes reconnect, and I answer, "Hosu Dormitory."

Without a word, the boy opens the door and steps out of the car. My confusion dissipates as he opens the rear door for me, and I can't help but feel a sense of warmth. "Get in."

I offer him my best smile as I take a seat in the back. The boy closes the door, and with a sense of gratitude, I watch as he returns to the driver's seat, embodying the essence of a true gentleman.

The brief journey to the dormitory, lasting less than five minutes, unfolds in a quiet symphony of unspoken words. No conversations punctuate the air, yet the silence is oddly comfortable, a shared understanding in the confines of the taxi.

As we arrive, the boy steps out and graciously opens the door for me. Unsure of how to respond, I offer a quiet "thank you" before reaching for my purse. "How much is it?" I inquire.

He maintains eye contact, his gaze unwavering. "Zero."

Confusion washes over me. "What—"

"It's nothing. It was a short ride. Go inside; you're running out of time."

His kindness leaves me momentarily speechless. Handsome and sweet – a combination that catches me off guard. As I open my mouth to express my gratitude, I hesitate, my attention drawn to a shining object around his wrist. Furrowing my brows, I glance back at him, curiosity lingering in my gaze.

He glances down at his wrist, swiftly pulling his sleeve down to conceal the bracelet from my view. I shake my head, offering him a smile. "Thank you... for the ride."

"Don't worry about it," he replies.

I nod quickly, turning around to head towards the dormitory's main door. Just as I think our interaction has concluded, I'm halted by the sound of his voice.

"Gyeok-chan—I'm Gyeok-chan."

My head whips around so fast it feels like a reflex. We lock eyes for a solid minute, and my brain finally kicks back into gear. "Na-eun. Park Na-eun."

Gyeok-chan smiles.

"Nice to meet you." Without waiting for my response, he retreats to his car and drives off.

"Na-eun, hurry up!"

Startled, I look up as Kim Man-dong calls out my name. "Coming..." I murmur, the encounter with Gyeok-chan lingering in my thoughts as I hurry to rejoin the rhythm of dormitory life.

##

y'all liking it so far?
let me know what you think <3