The False Princess: Chapter 7

Start from the beginning

Which meant her father was probably out there with Eleina, limping over the ground, binding the fallen stalks as best as he could.

She bent over the paper Lorayna had laid in front of her and tried to copy the letters again, but the lines were so twisted that they hardly seemed even remotely similar to Lorayna's fine script.

Demetria forced herself to take a deep breath, and was surprised to see a small tear fall to the paper.

"That's enough for tonight Lorayna," Kallia said from where she sat by the fire, and Demetria glanced over to see her staring back. "We will continue tomorrow."

The old woman nodded and bade Demetria goodnight before leaving the room.

"You'll start learning the dances and such in a few days," Kallia said as Demetria quickly wiped her eyes. "But in the meanwhile, its time that you learned your courtesies."

At that moment, Hanna entered, carrying a silver tray with a pitcher and two goblets, which she set down on the table in front of Demetria.

Kallia rose from her chair and stepped to the table. "Thank you Hanna," she said. "You and Muria are dismissed for the evening. Be here at dawn tomorrow, with an early breakfast. It will be a long day."

"But we still have to prepare her for bed," Hanna objected.

"Leave the night clothes on the bed," Kallia interrupted her. "And I will see you in the morning." She smiled at the two maids, who, after a moment's hesitation, disappeared into the bedroom, and a moment later reentered, leaving through the main door.

Demetria watched them go and wondered what they thought of this situation. Had they been taken from their families as well for this scheme?

"Have you had beer?" Kallia asked as she moved to sit across the table from Demetria. "Or mead?"

"A little," Demetria replied. "But never wine."

"A small benefit of your current situation," Kallia replied. She lifted the pitcher and poured a stream of the dark red liquid into each of the silver cups. Offering one to Demetria, she took a long sip from the other. "You are giving up a great deal for this mission," she said. "So you might as well enjoy the benefits."

Demetria took a sip. It was sweet, but an instant later there was a harsh taste that clawed at her throat and somehow rose into her nose. She winced and shook her head.

Kallia paid no notice. "Alright, on your feet." She said. "The first thing you have to learn is how to stand like a lady."

An hour later, the pitcher was still half full, and though Demetria's feet hurt from standing and performing curtsies, the wine had built a warm glow in her chest, and she was not altogether miserable.

"As a potential queen," Kallia was saying, "you'll be expected to stand and sit for long periods with little movement. Sometimes it will be to watch a procession, or to listen to court proceedings, any number of things really."

She took a long drink and peered into the pitcher.

"I think I've drunk more of this than I was supposed to," she frowned into its depths, then looked back up at Demetria. "But that just means you need another drink."

She filled the cup again and pushed it toward Demetria. "How are you feeling? Is the room moving yet?" She laughed.

Demetria smiled a little at the sound, but her eyes felt heavy. "If I say yes, will you let me go to bed?"

"Bed?" Kallia looked surprised. "It's not even the end of first watch?"

"It's after dark," Demetria answered, and decided to push her luck. She slid back into her chair, sighing at the relief in her feet. If Kallia wanted her to stand, then Demetria would make her stop drinking long enough to say so.