my dear soulmate

"May fate do us part." we chanted to the night sky. Lying on the beach with your hand in mine, we watched all the stars aligning. It was in the midst of freezing winter, with flecks of glistening snow falling upon us—it was like we were flying in a dream. That was the last time we felt such proximity. The last time pieces fell right into place. The last time fate favoured us.

Six summers, seven springs. There had been no cheating, no absence of love, it was simply distance, timing and fate.

Can you imagine, after all this time, that I still believe in fate? Would you believe, after all this time, that I still think our divide is destiny? Did you know, after all this time, that I still consider you as my soulmate? Soulmates doesn't mean staying together forever. Sometimes, soulmates can be there for each other at the exact right time, and that was what we did. You met me when my train ran off its tracks, when my reputation was at its worst. I was painted as the manipulative, messed-up liar that everyone fell out of love of. And yet you peered through the façade and saw the truth in me: you picked up the shattered pieces of who I really was. You helped me to stitch up my torn wings and slowly mended the broken strings. You stayed by my side despite the large pile of insecurities that threatened you to leave. You added a swash of golden daylight onto my deep blue canvas. I fell, and you caught me.

The seven years with you were the happiest I have ever been. An invisible string tied you to me when I needed you the most, it made us bring out the best in each other, it brought us the seven years of paradise. No matter how far we drift away, no matter how many years we wake up alone, we are still very much intertwined by it. The memories we shared are still in every photo album I have saved, in every heart I have drawn around your name, in every song I have poured my heart into. A gentle smile creeps onto my face whenever I am transported back to the dive bar where I first met you. A wave of relief washes through me whenever I replay your comforting shoulder rub. A childish giggle escapes my lips whenever I think of our silly inside jokes. I'm holding tightly onto the memories, and they will hold on to me, as you had always told me to. That is how we move on, isn't it?

We didn't just grow apart, we grew up. I learnt in the hard way that in spite of my best efforts, my career can never be balanced with my personal life. You learnt throughout the years that proximity is what you need the most in relationships. Shields of invisible glass formed between us soundlessly, leaving us unaware but formed echoes of doubt. The more we decided to ignore, the louder it became. When you held me in your arms on that last night, I could still feel the warmth of love coming out of our synchronised heartbeats, yet I could hear the soft cracks breaking them little by little. The final blast of wind shattered the glass we had ignored for so long—all was left out in the open. Our trembling lips met for the very last time, and we bid a farewell. That, my dear soulmate, is simply fate's doing. Fate let us cross paths, fate did us part. As long as we have lived out the most and changed for better in the seven years, I think it's fair to say there was, indeed, a glorious sunrise across our great divide.

My dear soulmate, you turned me into the best version of myself and I cannot thank you enough for that. Our future was left for fate to step in and everything has changed. Now it's time for me to find who I am without you, my dear soulmate.

⋆⋅☆⋅⋆

i... honestly cannot even process this in my wildest dreams, let alone in reality. yet i hope the closure to their story is for the best and both can soar without boundaries.
i wrote this to make myself feel better and i hope this can heal the many broken hearts out there <3

Written April 12th (do you really wanna know where i was april 8th?)

⋆⋅☆⋅⋆

edit after the release of ttpd: 
"what a bland goodbye" oh dear lord.