Chapter 3: The School Master's Arrival:

Začať od začiatku

The School for Good and Evil

The kidnappings continued throughout the years, but now the thief had a name. They called him the School Master.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A few minutes after ten, Sophie was able to pry the last lock off the window and cracked open the shutters. Y/n stood up from Sophie's bed and walked over to the window to see what was going on outside. They could see the forest edge, where Sophie's father, Stefan, stood with the rest of the villagers on guard. But instead of looking nervous like the others, he was smiling, hand on Honora's shoulder. Sophie rolled her eyes. Y/n knew how Sophie felt about Honora and it wasn't anything good. Five years after her mother's death, he wanted to marry that woman. Unfortunately for him, this couldn't happen without Sophie's blessing according to the Elders. Any time he tried, Sophie would change the subject or do something obnoxious to get him to leave her alone. After the first few attempts, her father didn't mention Honora again.

"Don't pay attention to them, Sophie. They're not worth the stress," Y/n said, placing a hand on Sophie's shoulder.

"I'm going to finish preparing for his arrival," Sophie walked away, ignoring Y/n's attempt at comfort.

On her windowsill, Sophie laid out gingerbread hearts for the School Master. She smiled and walked over to her bed where Y/n was now sitting again. She pulled the covers back and wrapped herself up like a snug little bug. Y/n sighed and followed her, climbing under the covers as well. Sinking into their pillows, they both closed their eyes. Both of them hoping for something to happen. Sophie wanted to be taken while Y/n wanted her to stay.

Not too long later, Sophie opened her eyes and sat up. She couldn't sleep. Five minutes to midnight and no sign of an intruder. She looked over at Y/n, who was fast asleep. Sophie gave a sad smile and climbed out of bed to look out the window.

She squinted her eyes and then they went wide. The gingerbread hearts were gone. The School Master was here. She quickly grabbed her pink bags, trying to not wake Y/n, and climbed out of the window.

Not too long after Sophie made her escape, there was a loud crash. Y/n opened her eyes to see an angry Sophie laying on the bed and Agatha standing by the window. Sophie whirled around and locked eyes with Agatha.

"You pathetic, interfering worm!" She screamed.

Y/n rubbed her eyes and looked between the two girls. While Sophie was furious, Agatha looked afraid.

"You saw him didn't you?" Y/n questioned.

Then there was a noise.

Agatha put one hand over Sophie's mouth and pinned her to the mattress with the other. She knew that Sophie would yell if she knew the School Master was right outside. As Sophie tried to protest, Agatha peered out the window. Y/n moved from one side of the bed to the other and looked out of the window to see what Agatha was seeing. Her eyes widened.

A crooked shadow drifted into the Gavaldon square, past the armed guards, and head directly toward Sophie's house. Y/n and Agatha swallowed back screams. Sophie wiggled free from Agatha and grabbed her shoulders.

"Is he handsome? Like a prince? Or a proper schoolmaster with spectacles and waistcoat and-"

THUMP!

The three girls slowly turned to the door.

THUMP! THUMP!

"He could just knock, couldn't he?" Sophie said.

Locks cracked. Hinges rattled.