☾ chapter nineteen

Bắt đầu từ đầu

He can't help but think back to the times they spent together, the way her lips tasted, how her scars felt on his fingertips. He remembers the first time he saw her, her messy hair and the alcohol in her wardrobe. He thinks about taking her back home, to California, and telling her his real name. Kirsch. If he didn't have her, he would die.

Deep down, Ethan knows that he's not a villain. He's just a guy trying to do what's best for the people he cares about, even if it means doing things that seem unforgivable. But seeing Tatum's pain is a reminder that the line between right and wrong isn't always clear-cut.

I'm sorry, Riley, he thinks to himself. 

I'm sorry that I have to hurt you like this. 

But I promise you, I'll make it right. 

I'll keep you safe, no matter what it takes.

He looks at her. Not at the way she's sobbing, pulling at her hair and struggling to breath, but at her appearance. He can feel the blood boiling in his veins like a volcano ready to erupt. He can't believe that, even after their agreement, even after he did his part of the deal, Quinn still went ahead and slashed Tatum's brow and her upper thigh, like a knife had been actually stuck there. Like Quinn had fucking stabbed his girl on the leg, close to her femoral fucking artery, and she only hadn't bled out to death yet out of pure luck.

Anger clouds his vision. His hands ball up into fists as he turns to his sister, who is still in the Ghostface mask. His voice trembles with fury as he speaks, "You fucking asshole, we had a deal. I'm going to kill you, you absolute cunt."

Ethan starts moving towards Quinn, ready to confront her, but his dad stops him in his tracks. Ethan's rage turns towards his dad now, and he glares at him with a burning fury. 

"Son, no fighting with your sister when we have guests," he says calmly.

Tara, still confused, speaks up. "Son? Sister?" she asks. 

Quinn finally takes off the mask, revealing herself. "Bet you didn't see that one coming, roomie," she says with a smirk.

Tatum's voice breaks through his thoughts, and he turns to her, feeling guilty and ashamed. He knows that he has hurt her deeply, and he doesn't know how to make it up to her. All he wants is to pull her into his arms and make everything better, but he knows he can't. Not now. 

''You died.'' Tara goes, as if thinking out loud.

Quinn chuckles. ''Kind of didn't. It was a good way to get out of the suspect list, though''

There's a large smile on Wayne's face and his voice is calm and collected when he adds, ''And I just made sure I was first on the scene so I could switch her body up with a fresh one. A little fake blood, some prosthetics, you'd be amazed.''

Ethan watches in horror as Quinn points her knife in Tatum's direction, and his instinct to protect her kicks in.

"Get up, bitch," Quinn sneers, and Ethan steps forward to shield Tatum from her. 

His heart is racing as he stands between them, and he knows that he's putting himself in danger. 

''Step away, Quinn,'' he warns, his voice low and steady.

The redhead smiles. It's wicked and sends chills down his spine. ''She lets you fuck her once and now you're pussy whipped? Grow up, Ethan.''

Quinn's words sting, and he feels the heat of the knife as she presses it against his cheek. He can feel the blood start to trickle down his face, but he doesn't move.