☼ chapter eighteen

TATUM'S HEART RACES AS SHE ANXIOUSLY WAITS FOR ANY SIGN OF ETHAN. She feels like throwing up, her stomach churning with worry. As they all meet up with Kirby outside the abandoned movie theater, her anxiety only increases.

They weren't that far behind them when the train left. What the fuck was taking them so long?

''I cleared the whole place before you got here.'' Kirby announces, but it doesn't serve to calm Tatum down at all. 

She locks the gate, and Tate feels like a lamb ready for slaughter. Just like Ethan said. ''So, this is the only way in or out. He steps in through the front door, both doors lock automatically, trapping him inside. We turn it into a kill box.''

Sam nods, but Tatum can see the uncertainty in her eyes. ''Weapons?''

Kirby is firm. ''One gun and I hold on to it. I'm the only one with a badge and that's the way it's gonna be. We're safe here.''

Tatum had a difficult time believing that, and by the way Chad and Tara looked at her, arms crossed and lips quivering, she wasn't the only one.

Sam swallows down an obvious complaint like a brick and adds, "I'll go check on Mindy, see if they're close. Tate, you heard from Ethan?"

She's been checking her phone every few seconds, hoping to see a message or a missed call from Ethan, but there's nothing. It's not like him to go radio silent for this long, especially in a situation like this.

She bites her lip nervously and shakes her head in response to Sam's question. Her heart is pounding as she speaks up. "No, no sign of him since before we left the station."

Tatum's mind races with possibilities, each one more terrifying than the last. She can't help but feel like something is terribly wrong, and the thought of losing Ethan is almost too much to bear.

She's lost too much. She's given too much of herself away. 

Please, not again.

As Sam heads off to try to call Mindy, Tatum's eyes dart around the theater, searching for any sign of danger. She can't help but wonder if Ghostface is watching them, waiting to strike. She takes a deep breath and tries to calm herself down, but the fear and worry are too much to ignore.

Chad puts a comforting arm around Tatum's shoulder. "Hey, I'm sure they'll get here soon. We'll figure this out together, like we always do."

Tara nods in agreement, trying to reassure her friend. "Yeah, they're probably just caught up in something. No signal, maybe."

Tatum takes a deep breath and nods, trying to push her worries aside for the moment. She knows she can't let her fear get the best of her right now, not when they're all in danger. And this fucking place is not doing her mind any favors.