☼ chapter eight

HIS HAND RESTED ON HER BACK, GUIDING HER TOWARDS THE GROUP. She can feel the curious eyes of Mindy and Quinn on them as they arrive together.

"Look who's here," Mindy says, with a hint of amusement in her voice. "The newest dynamic duo. Because that's not suspicious at all."

Quinn nods in agreement. "What's up, guys?"

Ethan gives them a small smile, but Tatum can tell he was still tense. She shifts uneasily, wondering what the urgent meeting is about.

Mindy takes charge, as usual, addressing everyone like she's making a presentation. 

"Ok, nerds, listen up. As terrifying as this all is, I'm actually glad I get a chance to redeem myself for not calling the killers last time. It's fine. Ok, the way I see it, someone's out to make a sequel to the requel."

Tatum tries to focus on Mindy's words, but her mind keeps wandering off to Ethan's hand on her back. She, somehow, feels safe and protected with him, but she also knows that danger is looming over them.

She can feel her mind starting to wander as Mindy gets deeper into the details. She's heard all of this before and can't help but feel like they're wasting time.

A sequel means more death, more terror, and more danger.

It means they're fucked.

''Suspicious new characters brought in to round out the suspect list. And or body count. Check, check, and check.''

"I don't like this." Ethan adds, his tone serious.

Tatum's heart starts racing as she considers the possibility. She looks over at Ethan, hoping to find some reassurance in his expression, but he's as stoic as ever. She takes a deep breath and focuses back on Mindy, trying to push aside her fear and focus on the task at hand.

''Longer chases, shootouts, beheadings, you gotta top what came before to keep people coming back.'' Mindy explains.

Chad rises his pen to ask, ''Beheadings?''

Mindy smiles, ''Beheadings.''

Tatum's eyes drift off as Mindy starts to lay out her plan, her mind wandering to the lack of sleep she's had over the past few days. She feels like she's on autopilot, her brain struggling to keep up with the conversation. 

Every time she tries to focus, her mind seems to shut off, like it's trying to protect her from the horrors of the situation. She tries to shake herself back into focus, but it's like trying to swim through molasses. 

She's grateful for Ethan's presence beside her, his warmth and solidity anchoring her to reality. She knows she needs to stay alert, stay sharp, but her body feels heavy, and her eyelids keep drooping. She's barely holding on.

The next thing she hears Mindy say is, ''It's not looking good for Gale and Kirby.'' Tatum supposes she should feel some sort of way about that, but she doesn't.