Reacting to the Reader Bringing Home a Stray Dog

Start from the beginning

- Visibly shaking, she holds out her closed hand and lets Hewie sniff it.

- "See? He likes you. Do you want to try and pet him?"

- After some hesitance, Donna nods and stiffly runs her hand down Hewie's back once. He just stares up at her with a soft face and eyes.

- ...Okay... That wasn't too bad, Donna thinks.

- Eventually, she overcomes her fear.

- Angie finally has a playmate that can keep up with her energy level!

- Donna makes little shirts and sweaters for Hewie.

- He likes to come cuddle with her whenever she's reading. 

Alcina Dimitrescu:

- You're insane if you think Alcina is going to allow that mangy animal into the castle. You can find someone else to give him to, or he can stay on the grounds but he can't come inside.

- No amount of pleading seems to change Alcina's mind.

- Fine. You'll build him a little home outside.

- About a week later, Alcina comes searching for you and finds you petting Hewie.

- You pick him up and ask her if she wants to do the same.

- "I would rather not."

- "Come on, Alci, look at him!"

- Hewie stares up at her. There is no intelligence behind his eyes, in Alcina's opinion.

- With a sigh, she reaches down and strokes Hewie's head. He's so tiny compared to her that she can only use a few fingers. His tail starts wagging furiously and his tongue hangs out.

- That's the end of that, you think.

- Then, the next day, you enter Alcina's office and not only see Hewie inside but also laying on her lap while she works.

- Surprise! He's an inside dog now. Alcina changed her mind.

- She starts treating him like her fourth child. She has the family portrait redone so that he can be added.

- He's pampered beyond belief.

- He has his own room and a whole ass mattress to himself. He usually ends up sleeping with you and Alcina or one of the girls, though.

- Daniela can frequently be seen carrying Hewie around the castle, having full-on conversations with him.

- Bela really enjoys absentmindedly giving him affection while she does other things.

- Cassandra plays with him a lot. She also likes giving him bones. : )

- "...Cass, what kind of animal is that from?"

- "Remember that man-thing that tried to break in last week?"

Karl Heisenberg:

- If you want to keep that thing, it's going to be your responsibility entirely. You're cleaning up after it, feeding it, keeping it out of places it shouldn't be, etc.

- That's okay with you!

- Unless Hewie ends up being some sort of bioweapon that can obliterate Miranda, Karl doesn't think he's going to get too attached.

- That lasts for about half of Hewie's first day at the factory.

- Karl is working when Hewie comes over and stares up at him.

- "What do you want?"

- Hewie sets his head down on Karl's lap.

- "I'm busy."

- When you find them later, Hewie is laying on some sort of blanket nest Karl's thrown together and gnawing on a mystery bone. Karl is complaining to him about the other Lords while he works.

- Karl and Hewie end up becoming the epitome of "a dog is a man's best friend".

- The first time that Hewie gets to meet Alcina, he starts growling at her. Karl is delighted.

- "Get your mutt under control."

- "Hey, he's just picking up on what a massive bitch you are. That's not my fault!"

- Karl starts showing you and Hewie whenever he finishes another project.

- He makes a custom metal nameplate for Hewie's collar.