Chapter 23 {Atala's PoV}

"Atala, you need to be home before sunset. We have a very important conversation to have with you tonight." This was what Ronal had told me this morning.

Now, it was just an hour until midnight, and I was going out of my mind. I couldn't sit still, so I paced the length of our cove as I expressed my concerns to Lo'ak, who was paitently sitting on the sand as I walked.

"What if she's finally kicking me out for good?" I wondered aloud. "It would be nice, but I would not feel safe being alone every night."

"Then I would come stay with you," Lo'ak offered.

"Oh! What if they found out I was sneaking out?" I say, almost not hearing Lo'ak. "They would ground me for life and definitely make me break up with you."

"Then we would just keep sneaking out." Lo'ak says.

"What if-" 

"Atala, you need to calm down." Lo'ak interrupts as he stands up and blocks my pacing path. He grabs a hold on my hands and squeezes them. "Whatever happens, we'll find a way through it." He reaches down and unclasps the sheath that is on his leg. He hands it to me along with the knife inside of it. "Take this, for strength. You won't need it, but it will make you feel better."

I take a breath and nod. "Ok. Yes, ok, you're right." I laugh breathlessly, taking the sheath and clasping it to my leg.. "I'm being insane. We'll be fine."

Lo'ak nods and smiles. "Exactly," He plants a kiss on my lips and I lean into it. He pulls me closer and before I know it we're intensely making out. I don't think the intensity of kissing Lo'ak will ever fade, and it feels like lightning is coursing through my body. But all too soon, I make myself pull away. The only thing worse than an important announcement from my adopted parents is facing them with a hickey on my neck.

"Lo'ak, I have to go," I say quietly as I pull myself away from him. Lo'ak looks disappointed, his ears flicking back. I stand on my tiptoes to whisper into his ear. "We'll continue this soon." I promise.

He cracks a smile and takes my hands again. "You can do this. Whatever happens, I will be by your side." He promises.

I nod. "Thank you." I kiss him goodbye and I'm moving through the forest, back to the Mauri pod.

I take a deep breath before I enter the pod. I get hit with a sudden wave of deja vu. I shake it off. I must be completely focused for this conversation. I have a feeling I will have to do some arguing at some point in this conversation. I relax my face into a neutral expression before I enter.

I step inside and see both my adopted parents sitting on the floor. Their eyes immediately fly to me as I enter.

Ronal makes a slight "hm" sound. "You're actually on time for once." She says. "Have a seat." She gestures to the spot beside her. I swallow nervously. Usually when we have a talk, I sit across from her and Tonowari. 

"The others will be here momentarily." Tonowari rumbles. That does not help my nerves. Who are the others?

By the time I hear footsteps outside, just minutes later, my hands are shaking, a cold sweat has broken out across my skin and I'm picking at my fingernails. I sit up, expectantly awaiting the others.

To my utter shock, Neytiri, Jake and Neteyam Sully enter the pod. I think my mouth actually drops open in shock before I snap it shut. Why are they here?

I catch Neteyam's eye. With just a brief shake of his head], I know Neteyam no clue why we're here. He has a seat next to me. Judging from the nervous look on his face, I can tell he also expects something bad.

"I'm sure you two are very anxious as to why we've all gathered here." Neytiri says. "So, we'll just get straight to the point." Her gaze flicks to the other parents - first Jake, then Ronal and finally Tonowari. They all give a brief nod before Ronal speaks.

"Atala, we are sorry that we have not been accepting about your...genetics." Ronal says. I flinch. Never in my wildest dreams would I have thought that Ronal would be apologizing to me. "But, as Tsahík, it is my job to bring this message from her. We believe that you are a unique opportunity to bring a whole new kind of life from Eywa."

Theres a silence. "So...how does this involve me?" Neteyam asks timidly. I was thinking the same thing, but I have an inkling of an idea that I'm too scared to even think about.

"We propose you two become mates and - like Ronal said - bring a new kind of like from Eywa herself. A completely unique type of Na'vi." Neytiri explains.

I flinch and drop my mouth open. "No!" I say, nearly in synch with Neteyam. Our eyes lock for a brief moment. He looks scared, almost as scared as me. I like Neteyam, but just as a friend! I'm sure he feels the same way about me.

"Ronal, I'm not even sure I want children, and I certainly don't if it's just for your little... experiment!" I cry. "If Eywa wanted this type of Na'vi, she would have brought them to Pandora herself!" 

Ronal lifts her chin up. "As I said, I am the Tsahík of the Metkayina, it is my duty to spread the will of Eywa, and she wants this!" 

I can't sit anymore. I stand up. "I'm not selling my body for this, no way." I exclaim. I glance to Neteyam. Lo'ak's told me that he can't stand disobeying his parents orders, but surely for this he'll have to say no!

Thankfully, he sides with me. "I must agree with Atala. I don't want to partake in this." I can tell he feels guilty for not following his parents orders. His chin is dipped and his eyes are downcast.

"Atala, surely you won't pass up this chance to mate Toruk Makto's son?" Ronal says. I can tell she's just switching strategies. Her tone is softer, she's trying to make it seem like my idea. I won't fall for it.

"I don't really care who's son he is," I say, glaring at the parents. "I won't do it." And with that, I storm out. I can hear my name being called by all the parents, and when I hear footsteps approaching, I curl my fingers around the handle of the knife that Lo'ak gave me. I spin and unsheath the knife, holding it out. To my surprise, it's Neteyam. He's holding his hands up.

"Calm down, it's just me." He says, lowering the knife with his finger. "I wanted to tell you I agree that this is messed up." He looks sheepish.

I let out a breathless laugh. "It's crazy," I put the knife away. "If our parents think we're doing that, then they're crazy."

Neteyam smiles. "Even if I wanted to, I'd never do it if you didn't want to."

I take his hand and squeeze it. "Thank you for not being crazy about this." I say. "I just - this is just so weird." I drop his hand. "I should get going. I need to drop by my pod before it gets dark."

Neteyam makes a questioning look. "and why do you need to do that?"

I grin. "Because there is no way I'm sleeping in that pod tonight. My adopted parents would definitely try to convince me more." I squeeze his hand once more. "Thank you for not being an ass about all of this."

He smiles. "I try," He chuckles at his own joke. "Bye, Atala."

"Bye Neteyam."

A little while later, I'm approaching our cove with some food and a blanket on hand. Up ahead, I see Lo'ak pacing. When I step onto the sand, I call out to him. "Lo'ak! Come, I want to tell you everything." 

He raises his head and in the twilight I can see that he is not happy right now. His glare has turned on me and I stop walking. "You alright?" I ask cautiously.

"I'd be great, if I hadn't just found out that my girlfriend was cheating on me with my brother." He seethes. 

I freeze. What does he mean?